SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much should I charge?

Hi. I'm new to the forums, so I wasn't exactly sure where I should post this.

Here's my situation:

I'm a recent college graduate and I plan on doing some freelance web development (to gain more experience and add to my portfolio) until I find something else in the field. I've worked on some projects for small businesses in the past but nothing too big.

I currently have a client asking me to build a website similar (in functionality) to bensbargains.net . I've also been asked to develop a custom application to allow him to later edit/add content to the website.

There is a bit of a conflict of interest though. My client is marrying into the family so I don't want to overcharge but at the same time I want to be compensated approriately for my work.

How much should I charge (in Canadian dollars if possible)?
    Last edited by Mittineague; Apr 25, 2014 at 16:35.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pricing discussions aren't allowed on Sitepoint. Charge what you believe would be a fair price for all the work involved in creating a site of that caliber.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Pricing discussions aren't allowed on Sitepoint. Charge what you believe would be a fair price for all the work involved in creating a site of that caliber.
    Sorry, I was unaware. I'm just saying that it will be difficult for me to gauge what is fair and what isn't if I don't have much of a scale to compare it on. I was merely looking for estimates so that I could have a scale on which to decide what is fair.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could Private Message me (if that is in fact allowed) or point me to a forum/site where I might get this estimate.

Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at how much you would charge a regular client! Then factor in how much you like this person!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you worked for him, he should pay you. It's not like he'd pay you for doing nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is why I hate doing work for friends. They always expect some super-deal.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Simply just forgo that friend and refer him to someone else man. I personally have done this on many occasions and have found that that the amount of naggin' they do aftwards is just unacceptable. Had they gone to someone else, they wouldn't nag at all.

On a side note, it seems like you'll be the only designer and programmer of the site for your friend so I would bill him accordingly. Everyone is here to make earns-meat and sadly you can't give super-mega-cheap-ultra-low bargain for something that will take your time and effort.

I'd generally have a fixed hourly rate for programming, designin' and consultation .

It actually works.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    This is why I hate doing work for friends. They always expect some super-deal.
    I usually do work for friends for free At least, reletively small stuff. Then I have one friend who's a designer, who he designs for me for free, I develop for him for free... works out well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I usually do work for friends for free At least, reletively small stuff.
    The problem is, a few of mine expect something out of this world, stuff that would take weeks. And this is work that would eventually make them money.

However most of them understand when I say "NO".

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, its great to have friends who understand the meaning of two lettler "N...O!".