SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best-practices for coupon/promo codes

We'd like to enable our transactional site to accept coupon codes or promo codes. I'm looking for some best-practices as far as how to do this. For example:

-how long (characters) should the codes be?
    -should the codes be randomly generated for security reasons, or should there be a rhyme & reason to how they're coded?
    -should we offer 1 code that anyone can use, 1 code/user, or both?

Any other advice on this is welcome.

thx.

R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We create promo codes manually and give them to users of our choice. Our plan is to give more coupons to schools, low income people etc.
    We offer more than one code which can be used by anyone. But we can give a coupon to
    only one person, and if it is used we know who used it. If you plan to send automated messages, yes, I would recommend codes depending on user. This may have one more advantage: Spam filters may be less likely to consider your message as a spam..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any suggestions if we wanted to create unique codes for thousands of people when we e-mail our house list?

R

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    any suggestions if we wanted to create unique codes for thousands of people when we e-mail our house list?
    I would use their name or email address as the basis for the code and use an algo similar to md5(not md5, as it doesn't guarentee non identical hashes) to create the code. Or more simply you could just list the emails and have a starting code of XJSJOR00001 and increment just the numerical part.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do something similar which is to create a random reference number for each listing in my database so it goes like: DDDDLLDDD 4 digits 2 letters in capital 3 digits,

for example 4937LX344.

see what others do and modify to your needs.