SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

computer screen flickering

hi all, just wondering why anyone would know why my computer screen flickers badly everynow and then, i've had this laptop for about 3 years its a compaq presario 1400. the flickering stops everynow and then, but it is so annoying and kills my eyes....

anyone know any remedies, i had a feeling its the refresh rate slowing right down, but i'm not sure, plus i dont know how to change it, even if it was.

thanks guys

-----
    nick
    -----

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a laptop screen and it's flickering, then it is a serious problem. Your laptop may need repairing. Does the flickering occur only when you move or nudge it? What if you sit it on a table?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmj
    If it is a laptop screen and it's flickering, then it is a serious problem. Your laptop may need repairing. Does the flickering occur only when you move or nudge it? What if you sit it on a table?

flickering occurs randomly, its always on a table, i never move it.... the longer it stays on the less it occurs......

i hope it doesn't need repairs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, do you think it could be a power supply problem? Does it happen both on mains and on battery power?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never thought of that. my battery last approx 30 mins. so i never use it, i generally use my laptop as a desktop, from frist purchase never really used the batttery, therefore, absolutely destroying the battery life.... since i have posted my last message it hasn't done it ....

i'm running battery now... i'll see if it occurs,

i suppose it could be power, either your talking about a surge, or an interferance in the phases, but the ac to dc converter should eliminate the phase performance anyway.... but a surge would more than likely kill it completely, unless it;s just small surges, that the power supply or computer isn't reducing anymore. ( ie diodes are dead)...

not sure....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all I could think of, though I guess an irregular power supply would probably not affect an LCD monitor. I'm assuming it is out of warranty. You may want to do a few google searches to see if other people have flickering screens on that same type of computer, or even call up the manufacturer and ask about it.

I guess there's a slight possibility that it is a driver problem with the graphics driver. Just in case, you might like to test if it happens when you boot into dos or safe mode.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same happens to my CRT..flickers once in a while. I think its a power problem, as ive got it on a multi socket one with quite a few other things plugged in, plus things like the washing machine, trumble dryer, tv are on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll post back once i find out what it is... (note it still happens when i unplug the power supply. but only for a short while.... hmmmm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse
    The same happens to my CRT..flickers once in a while. I think its a power problem, as ive got it on a multi socket one with quite a few other things plugged in, plus things like the washing machine, trumble dryer, tv are on.
    I think it is different with CRT. Sometimes mine flickers, but only rarely (like once every six months it will flicker for a day or so). I think it is irregularity in the mains power supply. I don't think this would affect LCD, particularly not on a laptop.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a replacement powersupply off ebay for panasonic CF-37. Actucally ended up being a dell power supply with a panasonic end on it. Flickers like crazy and recently the wire worked loose from the adapter. So it may be a bad connection in side the power supply.

Also used to have a desktop computer that had screen refresh set to 60mhz. I couldn't really see the flickering (especially on a white page) unless I looked just past the monitor to where it was kind of out of focus, but once I did that I could see the fliker enough to drive me crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    update: definitely not the power supply---

still have no idea.... stupid computer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one a regular pc, its usually the cable - my old 21 inch monitor that i got for 40 bucks still has the old 5 pin connector cable, and every once a month or so it like to either get blurry, or turn pink until I wiggle the cable. Stupid thing.

TAKE YOUR LAPTOP. Throw it against the wall. Then go outside, put it under your front tire. Sit in your car. Start it. Put it into gear, lightly stepping in the accelerator. Once you feel a bump, stop. If you feel a second bump, you've gone too far - back up and try again until you do not feel any more bumps. FINAL STEP refrain from callin me an a-hole cuz I know im already acting like one I'm sorry it's late, im bored and i guess I should be in bed its 2:13 AM omg!! lol