SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do with extra computer

Ok, since getting my wife her new laptop, we have her old computer that we want to do something with, but we are not sure.

Its not the fastest thing in the world. Its a 500mhz, 256mb ram, 40 gb harddrive, cd burner, etc...

However, now that she won't be using it, I want to clean it out/format it or whatever, and possibly use it for something else.

What are your recommendations.

I thought of a server, but I am not sure

a. How to do that
    b. what would be required
    c. If the machine could even handle doing that in today's tech world.

THanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an itunes server with an old one of mine. I put all my music on it and then purchased a Roku:

http://www.rokulabs.com/

Now i can listen to digital music in 3 rooms. Of course this doesn't have to be itunes and you would want a wirless network if you don't have one already.
    Last edited by iwinweekly.com; Jan 16, 2005 at 10:54.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a 733mhz celeron 192mb ram with Gentoo on it, just with apache, php, ssh, ftp, samba (no GUI or anything). I use this combination so i can upload/download files when im at college, access them via samba when im at home, let others download off me, have a website, backup files on my windows pc to it via samba....but mainly it was to learn Gentoo and linux. Ive got quite a nice setup IMO to suit my needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse
    Ive got a 733mhz celeron 192mb ram with Gentoo on it, just with apache, php, ssh, ftp, samba (no GUI or anything). I use this combination so i can upload/download files when im at college, access them via samba when im at home, let others download off me, have a website, backup files on my windows pc to it via samba....but mainly it was to learn Gentoo and linux. Ive got quite a nice setup IMO to suit my needs.
    The only problem with this is its all bandwidth. I had a web server/file server running off my cable modem... I found that after a while it was effecting my home surfing speeds. I ended up turning it into a Firewall/VPN server and not using it for web services... now I just VPN into it and have access to everything on my home network. Making a web server public to the world takes it toll on your bandwidth even if its not popular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Yes i understand that. I only use it for development, i wouldnt actually run a website from my adsl internet (15kb/s upload, woot!)

VPN would be good, dont know if i can use it at college though. I just need somewhere remotely to dump my files because we have two networks at college with two different sets of files (both Netware but they just wont intergate them), and i cant use my usb key on one of the networks, so ftp works just fine.

The clients at college are Windows 2k pro, do you need special software for VPN or can i just put in my IP, user credentials and i can log into it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse
    Off Topic:

Yes i understand that. I only use it for development, i wouldnt actually run a website from my adsl internet (15kb/s upload, woot!)

VPN would be good, dont know if i can use it at college though. I just need somewhere remotely to dump my files because we have two networks at college with two different sets of files (both Netware but they just wont intergate them), and i cant use my usb key on one of the networks, so ftp works just fine.

The clients at college are Windows 2k pro, do you need special software for VPN or can i just put in my IP, user credentials and i can log into it?
    Most OS's have a VPN client built into it, if not you can always download one free from MS. As for the server part here is some info regarding linux and VPN server, it should get you started. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, with that said, and if you refer to my latest post about allowing clients to access the "development" server outside of my local network, do any of you have a tutorial on how to setup a system so it allows for mostly development work which can also include an accessible address that clients might be able to click to and view any freelance work I am doing for them?

Basically, I have a 500 mhz machine that is no longer needed by my wife, so I want to format it, clean it out and use it for development purposes (i.e; uploading files to it, websites, etc... that only selected people will have access to (not the general public).

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    ok, with that said, and if you refer to my latest post about allowing clients to access the "development" server outside of my local network, do any of you have a tutorial on how to setup a system so it allows for mostly development work which can also include an accessible address that clients might be able to click to and view any freelance work I am doing for them?

Basically, I have a 500 mhz machine that is no longer needed by my wife, so I want to format it, clean it out and use it for development purposes (i.e; uploading files to it, websites, etc... that only selected people will have access to (not the general public).

Thanks
    This is pretty simple, it sounds like you just want a web server with password protected directories. But really you could use your current host for this most likely. Like I said in my other post, if you just have cable or DSL you probably don't want to do this, just because its going to use your home bandwidth. I think it would be a better idea to use your current host for this.

Most hosts these days allow multiple domains, so you could setup another domain as your development domain and just password protect directories for clients. If you wanted to take it a step further you could use PHP and MySQL so when I client logs in, it takes them to there test site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sell it...
    =)