SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up the Internet on Windows XP

I just got done reinstalling Windows XP on my computer but I can't get the Internet to work. I'm running Charter Cable and the cord is connected to a hub. I tried to install the programs that came with the computer for it to 'see' the drive. But still no luck. When I open up my connections it shows nothing at all.
    Please help me as my laptop is very slow.
    Thank You,
    Jesse Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to subscribe to an internet service to connect to internet. Find an ISP, and create a connection.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Here are several steps you need to perform in order to set up a connection:
    1. Make sure your computer is connected to your modem.
    2. Your computer may automatically detect your new connection and add it for you. If not, you need to go to Internet Options and open the "Connections" tab. Then, you need to click "Add" to run the New Connection Wizard.
    3. After running the Wizard, you should be able to connect to the internet. If not, you should contact your ISP.

ltng92

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done all that and I get a message saying that I should already be connected, but I'm not. My brother has the modem and alll the stuff and I just have the ethernet cord the plugs into the hub and into my computer. He's getting the internet but not me. I'm taking a guess that the drive in my computer is not installed, but Add New Hardware doesn't have it (Unless I can't find it).
    Quote Originally Posted by realestate
    You need to subscribe to an internet service to connect to internet. Find an ISP, and create a connection.
    I do Charter Cable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Is

Is your brother allowing shared connections?
    In win xp when there on a network im pretty sure that on pc will ask if its the gateway and other pc's should connect to it for web.
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows XP has a decent wizard for setting up your internet connection.

Go to Control Panel, Network Connections. Then click "Set up a home or small office network". When you get to the bit where it asks you about your network, select "This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network".

Follow the rest of the steps - don't worry about creating a network setup disk. Then it should work, unless the setup at your brother's computer is wrong.

If it is, you will need to set that up properly too. This will depend on whether the modem is connected directly to the hub or if it goes directly into your brother's computer. Does he know how to set it up?
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff