SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS: Typo3 users: Is there a CMS you prefer over typo3?

Hi all,

those of you who have been working actively with typo3 for your own websites ... have you found a better cms for your needs? One that - like typo3 now - allows you to work with W3 Standards?

I'd be very interested in knowing from those of you who have used typo3 for their sites and switched to a different opensource CMS. By the way, I know there is no perfect CMS etc. pp. and that the creation of your own CMS is probably the best solution eventually. However, I am curious to know if any of you have switched from typo3 to something else. If so, why? And what is it you disliked/liked with the old and new choice?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kohoutek,

At first I was very impressed of typo3 so I realized one website with it. The big problem itīs much too complex. Itīs like shooting birds with guns. And the guy for whom I made it was swamped with the backend although I made massive restrictions on it. And it was a hassle to extent it.

OK - purists will say "you have to get into it and you can realize everything with it". But I want to spend this years with other things

I now prefer more simple systems like Etomite. Have a look on their website or my post about it.

More: mamboserver.com and xmentor.de

Note: these cmsīs donīt have the claim to be enterprise but itīs much easier to achieve your goals.

oerdec//

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Oerdec,

thanks a ton for your comments.

My problem is similar. While it is a ton of fun for me to work with typo3 for my own site, I am unsure whether this cms is really optimal for people who just want a site that *works*? The learning curve is fine for me because it is fun. But not everyone wants to learn a week or longer before being able to receive results as wished, especially not every customer I'm certain.
    It is why I've looked into other really light weight solutions such as wordpress or textpattern and movable type.

My biggest concern is modern webstandards conformity. It is why I have refrained from trying out Mambo because I have not seen a single site (yet) that was done with Mambo that is up to par with W3 standards? This is a crucial aspect for me.

Thanks for the other suggestion. I've not heard of it before. I am going to check it out.

PS: Does anyone prefer Zope/Plone over typo3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: What are you planning?

On web standards: I totally agree. Most sytems deliver invalid code. Wordpress is a good choice although itīs not a real CMS.
    In future Mambo will be standards compliant. A guy created xmambo for that reason. Heīs now in the core development team.

I have tested Plone. Thereīs an installer for Windows. I like it but I donīt know Python.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its widely accepted that TYPO3 ihas got a high learning curve and is maybe too complicated and powerful for many users needs.

I also feel that on this board, the majority prefer MAMBO. From personal experience, it is great all round and feature wise and is nice and simple for clients to maintain themselves.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. What I think too. No problem for me to use it and it's fun working with typo3 for me. But for people who really just want something that "works" without having to learn for a month or more it is probably not the best solution. Though I am still a bit skeptical about Mambo. Not even sure why.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TYPO3 and other CMS

Hi
    I am typo3-developer from Russia (1 year experience).
    I also have one Mambo site (and do all webmaster's job for this site).
    I have a lot of problems with this site (www.edinoborstva.ru), it was not easy to install all needed modules. And it is NOT flexible.

I think typo3 is not good for simple low budget community driven sites.
    If you want to have articles, forums and fast installation - XOOPs can be
    the best choise.

In all other cases TYPO3 is better then other GPL PHP+MySQL CMS, that I know (I do not know Plone and all Java CMS).

Valery Romanchev
    romanchev (at) list.ru

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrom
    Hi
    I am typo3-developer from Russia (1 year experience).
    I also have one Mambo site (and do all webmaster's job for this site).
    I have a lot of problems with this site (www.edinoborstva.ru), it was not easy to install all needed modules. And it is NOT flexible.

I think typo3 is not good for simple low budget community driven sites.
    If you want to have articles, forums and fast installation - XOOPs can be
    the best choise.

In all other cases TYPO3 is better then other GPL PHP+MySQL CMS, that I know (I do not know Plone and all Java CMS).

Valery Romanchev
    romanchev (at) list.ru
    Hi Valery

Thank you for your post.

Xoops? I have surfed through the Xoops site a few times. But these community/portal sites are something I despise. I often get the feeling these types of CMS' are made for younger people and *young* themes. I'm in my late twenties and am looking for more flexible and serious CMS' solutions such as typo3. I am okay with typo3, though what really bugs me about it now is that almost ALL extensions available for typo3 are NOT conform with Modern Webstandards and more often than not still make use of obsolete HTML when it's not a direction I am willing to go under any circumstances. Except the news and modern guestbook I think there are hardly any really good extensions that allow for these standards unless, of course, one modified these completely or creates entirely new extensions with the Extension Manager to suit one's needs. That is a good option and one of the most powerful aspects of typo3.

I've also thought about Wordpress as another potential CMS solution (potential because it was initially not meant to be a CMS but a blogging tool but it seems to catch up quite fast with extended features).

I've also heard so many good things about Movable Type, but it seems to not be using PHP ... though I am unsure.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xoops? I have surfed through the Xoops site a few times. But these community/portal sites are something I despise. I often get the feeling these types of CMS' are made for younger people and *young* themes.
    One month ago I consider to use new version of XOOPS forum as a forum for my large TYPO3 project. XOOPs has the best forum among other *nukes.
    (it has some important features of vBulletin and has nice design).
    But RC2 has bug in DHTML and reported to have some perfomance problem
    (one month ago).
    After all we take desision to pay $85 for vBullertin :-) (and now I am working on integration of vBulletin to TYPO3)

I am okay with typo3, though what really bugs me about it now is that almost ALL extensions available for typo3 are NOT conform with Modern Webstandards and more often than not still make use of obsolete HTML when it's not a direction I am willing to go under any circumstances. Except the news and modern guestbook I think there are hardly any really good extensions that allow for these standards unless, of course, one modified these completely or creates entirely new extensions with the Extension Manager to suit one's needs. That is a good option and one of the most powerful aspects of typo3.
    Yes, it is absolutly true. I was impressed with last version of tt_news (it also can be a good basis of new ext development, I have plan to make general purpose knowlegde base extension on the basis of tt_news)

I've also thought about Wordpress as another potential CMS solution (potential because it was initially not meant to be a CMS but a blogging tool but it seems to catch up quite fast with extended features).
    I agree, Wordpress is nice (but I have not try it)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using vBulletin as well and I am not going to switch as no other forum software has been able to convince me of its quality as opposed to vB.

Yes, I have not tried WP yet either. But I am looking into it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I started a new project with Typo3. A customer didnīt want anything but this system. Donīt know why. Installation was no problem because we have our own server and a good admin. I didnīt see the layout for the new page yet. I hope itīs simple.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oerdec
    I didnīt see the layout for the new page yet. I hope itīs simple.
    Unfortunately it is NOT simple.
    Read Modern Template Building manual.
    Use css_styled_content.

To make real project for real client with high requirements you need 2-4 weeks.

Regards
    Valery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Valery,

with simple I meant the artwork delivered by the designer not the realization with Typo3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does HSBC mean?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunedin
    its ugly to use, its very hard to learn, and its bloody hard to support.
    I agree about learning (for developer , not for end users)
    But I think TYPO3 is easy for end users and if you ones make TYPO3 site it is easy to maintain it. I have exepience on maintainance of one TYPO3 site, it is easy to update info, change structire, upload photos etc
    It is ideal nearly content management.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plone is awesome. Works out of the box, great feature set and almost infinitely customisable, if you need that. It's total overkill for small sites, but we're standardising on it at work (bye bye DotNetNuke...)

I'm seriously considering writing an article for SP about it, if I get a spare day or four
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsy
    Plone is awesome. Works out of the box, great feature set and almost infinitely customisable, if you need that.
    Can you compare Plone and TYPO3 templating and content management?

I do not know Plone, but I see, that many plone sites has the same stucture.
    Is it easy to make promo site with some unusial design with Plone?
    Is it possible to manage many sites with different templates with plone?
    Is it possible to manage conent elements of pages (not only pages) with plone?

Thanks for answer.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't worked much with Typo3. We evaluated it but weren't impressed with the admin interface, the fact that production deployments on Windows seemed fairly uncommon, the lack of deployments in our area (healthcare), and the general difficulty of configuring the product to do something useful out of the box. So my opinion is going to be inevitably biased towards Plone. That said:

Unusual designs. Plone pretty much enforces the use of XHTML and CSS. This doesn't limit your creativity, but can make it a bit harder to do unusual designs.
    It is possible to manage many, many different Plone sites on the same server, and either use the same or different templates. This is almost trivially easy with Plone.
    It is possible to manage content elements of pages as well as pages. There are several ways to do this depending on what it is you want, so I can't really say any more...
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate typo3

I hate typo3. It is too complicated, not friendly to search engines by defualt by the way it does page title, and good luck ever turning it over to a client.
    Arizona Web Design
    http://www.websiteaz.com