SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article on Fat Peeps in Sitepoint Tribune Newsletter #310

I just read Sitepoint Tribune Newsletter #310, which there's no online archive for, and there was a pretty controversial article hidden towards the bottom:

Lose Weight, Win Business

I don't like it; you don't like it. But the fact remains: a reasonable percentage of people would agree with the following:

* I don't respect fat people
    * I'm more likely to do business with a good looking person
    * I trust someone in a suit more than a casually dressed person
    * I don't like nose piercings
    * I think people with goatee beards are aggressive

As unfair and superficial as all of the above statements are, the reality is that they reflect the opinions of a decent proportion of business people.

A recent survey here in Australia found that 2 in 5 employees don't respect their overweight colleagues, and believe that those colleagues are discriminated against in the workplace.

Now, that's all very interesting, but what does it mean for you?

* If you are overweight you will not win as much business as if you were slimmer.
    * If you are overweight you will not be promoted as quickly as if you were slimmer.
    * If you are overweight your work will be perceived to be of lesser quality than it would if you were slimmer.

As I said before, these are all very superficial judgments. But the point is, to win at work you need to meet the expectations of your clients. And you need to be at your best: to look your best, dress your best, be your best. Put your best foot forward in 2005!
    Do you agree? Disagree? Does this article apply to the US (an Australian seemed to have written it)?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with a lot of it. If some guy walked in with noserings, a mohawk, and wore a scrappy old shirt I would think twice before doing any sort of thing with him involving money.

But fat people, I don't really mind, I know plenty of fat but successful businessmen. Some people might consider you to be undisciplined if you're too fat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see what's so controversial about it. Physical appearance is just one of them many things that potential clients will judge you on.

One will only benefit from losing excess weight.
    ncarlson.net - a programmer's dystopia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should start hitting the gym more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    * I'm more likely to do business with a good looking person
    * I trust someone in a suit more than a casually dressed person
    Halo effect, it's part of every day life whether we want it or not, it's not just the writer of the quote. There have been a lot of studies supporting those stuff..

However, i disagree on the 'i dont respect fat people' thing. they deserve as much respect as anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the gym I go.......

I agree with all those points, especially the fate people one. We deserve the same respect but are rarely afforded it

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thing was obviously written to pad the newsletter. Honestly who didn't know this? This article could have been written by any fat kid in kindergarden. There are much more interesting articles on human perceptions when dealing with business, in fact I am taking an entire course on it. Its called Organizational Behaviour.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree The New Guy, i thought it was common knowledge as well. Just as it's common knowledge men get paid more and good looking people get paid more. It probably was just for padding, but from the response, it seems some people may not have known this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've also heard somewhere that shorter/small people suffer as much as fat people when it comes to business.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that generally, the more physically attractive you are, the easier things will be for you.
    People respond better to people who are more attractive(with men charisma is a big factor as well -- but I think looks also play a part in charisma). I think that studies have been conducted to show that better looking people tend to get more promotions in their job, more sales if they're sales people, etc. For fat or physically unattractive people I think the negative reactions they get from people are mostly subconscious on the part of the discriminator. I don't think most people think, "they're fat, I'm not giving them the job".
    I think there's an instinctual drive to discriminate against them.
    But when it comes to green mohawks and facial piercing the discrimination is taking place at a more conscious level, because those are more issues of decorum.

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything in that article As morally wrong as it may be it's all true!

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okayu, picture this. You are hiring an assistant. One is a 450 pound slob, while the other is an extremely attractive young lady. They both have similar experience and education. Who would you hire?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus prime
    I don't see what's so controversial about it. Physical appearance is just one of them many things that potential clients will judge you on.

One will only benefit from losing excess weight.
    Blah funny you should say that. I had a job interview one day at a local bookshop where I was to get a job... I went in to the interview after I finished university for the day. The day was really hot so I wore a black hoodie, brown shorts and had not shaved for like a week(so obviously, i had that drunken sailor look, but not the gay one...not that i have anything against the gay people...they're cool)...anyway, as i went into the panel of interviewers, one of them had the guts to actually "could you please come at another time whn you're groomed" and i was like ...what just happened...and then i gladly said "yep"

sO yeah...moral of the story, these clients judge you...and they judge you really hard...especially if your a guy...but then i suppose you get judged on even more if you're a woman...