SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

application/rss+xml doesn't work?

I'm new to RSS.

I have a feed for my blog: http://www.jonhehir.com/rss.b If I set the content-type to text/xml it works, but if I set it to application/rss+xml, it offers me a download. Why is this? and does it matter which I use?

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox? I've noticed that too. It's not the server's fault, it's the browser's. I assume if you go Options->Downloads and set application/rss+xml to be open in Firefox, it'll work fine... just leave it at XML, seems to be what most do (and I find it irritating going to an RSS feed having to download it).

Does it have the same issue in IE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't tried it in IE. If text/xml is fine, I'll just leave it there. I don't want people to freak out when they are offered to download a B file anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, yeah, with the file extensions there's something else to worry about. At least .rss files (usually) would open in a text editor, or their browser at the worst... B files are anyone's game.

If it's fine in IE (xml+rss), then someone should really submit it to the Firefox development team asking if they could change it... as I don't think the proper behaviour in response to xml+rss is download.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there, Im just curious why you arent using one of the standard rss feed extensions? Ive just started RSS within the last month or so and Im no expert but Ive never had a problem with any feed reader (t'bird, FF, feedemon etc) as long as I used an xml or rss extension... NOw I know you can serve up any file as any content type from the server but then you have to worry about what their program going to think about it.

Just curious what the logic behind the .b extension was (curious minds want to know)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at his site, he has his entire blog as ".b" (for blog, I'd assume).