User Tag List

Thread: IP addresses

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IP addresses

I know I've seen some codes that were done in javascript (I believe). What I am looking for is a script (or website) similar to one that locates where someone received their social security number from::

ie, the user would put in a social security number and then it would show where the person got the number.

what I'm looking for is something for the IP addresses. I have been able to grab the IP addresses from visitors to my website and I would like to locate where my visitors come from.

any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to make sure that it's clear, IP addresses don't have anything to do with physical regions, per se, as SSN's do.

The IP address of the visitor is exposed to the server so server-side scripts can discern it, but JavaScript executes on the client's computer and never even sees the IP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean you want the code to automatically read the output of your IP logging program, or do you want to be able to type the IP address into a text box and have it tell you where they came from?

The second part is really easy.

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>IP Lookup</title>
    <script language="javascript1.2">

function lookupIP(){
         var address=document.IPlookup.ipAdd.value;
         location.href="http://www.samspade.org/t/ipwhois?a="+address;
         return false;
    }

</script>
    </head>
    <body>

<form name="IPlookup" onSubmit="return lookupIP();">
    <input type="text" name="ipAdd"><input type="submit" value="Lookup">
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    This is very simple code and contains no validation mechanisms to test to see if a valid IP address was entered. It simply does a whois lookup on the IP address entered in the text box.

Louie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the code given is someplace along the lines of what I am looking for. Although it seems that almost every IP that I place into the form shows me that everyone originates from various addresses in Va.
    Is there someway I can locate generally the addresses that would show me what city/state they are using their comp from?

I know all of my users, so far, are from the North Eastern part of the US, so the whole VA. thing isn't exactly what I'm looking for- it seems all the pages that I have checked do the same thing.