SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

several beginner questions

Ok guys I need some straightening out here with several issues.
    First is that I am making my first site and used microsoft publisher to lay out the pages. First page is index and the rest (10 pages) are related link pages for pay per click or referal links. Getting the pages layed out wasnt to bad for a beginner, but thats where I got stuck. Now its time to start putting in banners and related script, banner rotations and such. Couldnt figure it out with publisher so I downloaded a trial dreamweaver and exported the pages to it. As soon as I opened it dreamweaver says there are 154 errors that publisher didnt find. Whats up with that? Not only do I not have a clue how to script my pages, now with all these errors I may have to start over. The bookmark buttons wouldnt even display in the dreamweaver editor propperly. Also when I added the pages of related links in pub it puts the bookmark for you to the left and bottom that was ok, gives you a text box top center on the new page that was cool, below that there is five or six picture boxes in a column with a text area next to each. I can replace the picture from file to add the banner but how do I get the script in there? I tried add script fragment but it give me a new little text box with the script being displayed in the box, (man what a frustrated newbie) I like the work but hate feeling lost.

Let me spell it out .
    1 is publisher the wrong track to be taking
    2 How do you get the banner script in the propper place
    3 Is there a specific place the script has to be put (in a certain order or position on the script viewer)
    4 remove the related link pics and add the banner or replace from file with the banner
    5 should I be using dreamweaver from the start

What I have to work with for now is html kit, microsoft publisher , my trial for dreamweaver is over but I would like to buy it. See where I am at guys? Any advice welcome.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

My advice is to stop and learn a bit about HTML first. As you learn ask questions here and you will learn faster.

That way you have an idea of what you are doing. As far as Dreamweaver or any other WYSIWYG editor they are good once you know what you are doing in the code as you edit the pages visually.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree fully with Johnny on this one

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, too, that you should at least be somewhat familiar with HTML first so that even if you get a pre-made banner rotation script, you will know where in your page you need to put this so that it will display and function properly. Also, Dreamweaver is a great tool...I use, it myself, because it is a big timesaver and, my being a visual designer, it allows me to focus more on layout than on the code that makes the site functional. (It is also one of the most powerful WYSIWYG editors that makes a clear effort to be in line with today's standards and technology.) However, I started off as an HTML coder and I am very glad that I have that knowledge because I can go in and add or "fix" anything that Dreamweaver can't do or messes up.
    Terri Eades - Web/Graphic Designer - www.terrieades.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the html link, I will go through it all. Is there more you can point out? Learning material I mean. I tried to read foroums and such but most info for the time being anyways is over my head , and or not what I need for a good foundation. If you try and read or learn it all you can read all day and still not know if your going in the right direction. For now I will study the html link thanks again for the info, whats after that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are plenty html tutorials out there that start from the basics.

www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
    www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html

forums aren't the best place to learn those basics...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lisaexplains.com <-- Very un-1337 html tutorials, but I use it now and then, well i mean i did - lol