SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question changing the location a program stores its settings?

I would like to know if I can change the location that a program (particularly FireFox) stores it settings/preferences.

At school, we use IE... but I prefer FireFox... so i downloaded it. To use it, I have to go into the settings and set the proxy to the school's proxy. After I do that, it works perfectly. However, it resets my settings everytime I logout. (requiring that i go and make that change everytime i log onto the computer) I think this is because it resets the C drive everytime a student logs out. But, we have a drive (the Z drive) that we are allowed to make changes to and save files in. So if there were a way to make FireFox store the preferences in the Z drive (where they will stay) instead of the C drive (where they will be erased everytime i logout)... that would be great.

If anyone knows anything that could help, please tell me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just install Firefox on your Z: drive? As long as there is room you should be fine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    Why not just install Firefox on your Z: drive? As long as there is room you should be fine.
    that's what i did. I had to install FireFox on the Z drive, if I had installed it on the C drive, FireFox itself would be erased at logout. But the problem is that it resets it's settings everytime I logout, so it must still store the settings on the C drive. Can i point FireFox to a different folder to look for its settings?