SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptops are so damn expensive

This pisses me off. So I am in best buy and I am going to get my wife a laptop (not today, just looking).

We see this nice Gateway (model 4540GZ) and its a 1.5 ghz Centrino Mobile, 80 gig hd, 512mb ram, bright screen, dvd burner...

Well, according to froogle, there price was 1099.99
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sc...Search+Froogle

Now its up to 1249.99.

Is there any chance, because the price in the search feature at 1099, that I can hold them to that?

Just curious,
    Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    This pisses me off. So I am in best buy and I am going to get my wife a laptop (not today, just looking).

We see this nice Gateway (model 4540GZ) and its a 1.5 ghz Centrino Mobile, 80 gig hd, 512mb ram, bright screen, dvd burner...

Well, according to froogle, there price was 1099.99
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?sc...Search+Froogle

Now its up to 1249.99.

Is there any chance, because the price in the search feature at 1099, that I can hold them to that?

Just curious,
    Thanks
    Bryan

That is not really fair is it now.

I am not familiar with the law but as a consumer I would say you have a chance of getting them to give the product at that price. The Froogle content is controlled by the Merchant which is Best Buy. Thus you could explain this to them, that they have advertised a product 'Gateway 4540GZ' with a price of $1099, with no Terms, with no expiry on froogle.google.com operated by Google, a internet technology and marketing leader which trades on the New York Stock exchange. Talk to a manager and be pleasant and explain the scenario. Tell him you viewed this ad on a reputable service and you were in the market for a notebook so went on down and the price was not as you expected. Claim false advertising and that you are disappointed,,, blah blah. Kindly ask for contact information for the corporate headquarters. If they claim their website warns that prices are subject to change. You can tell them they are obligated to update their marketing/advertising with up to date prices. Repeat that they are false advertising.

Anyway, this is just my thoughts and if time permits you should go back and give it a try to complain a little and repeat yourself and see what happens. I bet they will sell it at the price you quote. Big retail outlets generally will bend especially if you get ugly and mention bad media, bad review, or filing complaints with the BBB or other consumar agencies.

One thing that upsets me is the thought that they may be intentionally using the froogle service with undercut prices to a consumers attention but actual prices *never* match. Thus they may get you to their website or store and a possible sale just because you are in a hurry or impulse. All in all, good luck with your shopping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed something today while I was there.

Apparently, the ticket they used was printed off yesterday or the 11th at around 3:35 pm, so either the site hasn't been updated or they forgot.

Hopefully if I get in tommorow, it hasn't been updated yet.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes stores like BestBuy offer different pricing for online purchases than in store purchases for many different reasons:
    1) They may offer better deals online to get customers in the habit of ordering online at their website;
    2) Online transactions may be cheaper (e.g. less warehousing costs, less transportation costs, less labor costs, etc.) so they pass on some of these savings;
    3) May be offering extra incentives to win sales they might not otherwise get (e.g. those who search for bargins using Froogle).

Some companies boil down to the website is the right hand and the store is the lefthand and the right hand doesn't know what the lefthand is doing. I've seen this with BestBuy when buying a home entertainment system. In my case, I was able to squeeze a better deal in the store than on line. and the savings in shipping fees offset having to pay sales tax.

There is nothing illegal about having different pricing in different segments of one's operation. The worst that can happen to a company that does this is upset a few customers.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Online discounts,,,, this is true for some company websites.

Specifically though, if online pricing was reduced as allowance for lesser overhead expense on an online purchase then they would have said that at the store. The best buy website also clearly indicates that the price is in fact heightened to the $1249.99.

As far as what is illegal, again I do not know the law but I do know that as a consumer I can easily cry false advertising or accuse them of deceiving marketing and let them know that I am not happy. Best Buy from my experience generally does care about that those few upset customers you mention, most successful businesses do. Sometimes you might have to tell a story or point things out though and most good companies realize that your not a lawyer your just a consumer that they should want to be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I believe the price was 1099.99 and was on sale and they recently upgraded it, however, there is no clear indication anywhere that just because the price is online, that their intentions are to sell it online at that price, as it was 1099.99 in the store at one point I believe.

So with that arguement and the fact that Best Buy is an authorized merchant of froogle, meaning they actually have someone who represents Best Buy log in and actually make the ads/product descriptions under their account. So in that case, they are saying click this link to purchase a Gateway Computer at $1099.99. Upon clicking that, you are presented with a different price. I personally feel that falls under the responsibility of Best Buy to update their marketing and advertising (in this case Froogle).

The worst they can tell me is no. I am not going to make any big stink about it, but I am going to go in and talk to customer service about how I did a search for a gateway model on Froogle to find out some of the prices at big outlet stores, and their site came up with the Gateway at $1099.99. I got excited, hopped in my car and headed to Best Buy only to find out that it was raised to $1247 or whatever.

I think I can make the legitimate case I mentioned up above. I assume, then, one of the employees will grab a manager in which I have to repeat the above and that I hope they will honor the price as updating that information falls under Best Buy's responsibility in terms of marketing, etc...

I mean, its not like what I encountered last night, where I was looking at a computer that was top of the line only to see the wrong tag listed below it, which was a $600 celeron, whereas the computer was actually a Centrino $1600. In that case, they weren't the same product so it wouldn't work, but in this case, this is the exact same model they are selling in their stores.

Now, does it say anywhere that Froogle is simply for purchasing online?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see, vendor requirements in the Froogle terms and conditions is not really clear.

Regardless, this was a few days ago..... Did you end up trying to get the deal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for the lack of an update. Best buy met me half way, so $1175 was what we picked. Yea, I got the laptop.