SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you goto the O'Reilly page it will list sitepoint books there (They publish the books). It displays all up and coming books that Sitepoint have planned

/me thinks back to the days of the first php book and the huge influx of php users

How times have changed
    Back Again

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    Now that is cool...

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz
    "No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP" will be the next book out the door. Sometime in February.
    Neat indeed. What version will it focus on, 4 or 5?

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pergesu
    One of the best books for Java is Bruce Eckel's Thinking in Java, and he actually publishes it for FREE on the web.
    Yeah, I had someone at work recommend this one, and I'll be going through that soon. Between the free book on the web and the link for the free java server, MyJavaServer, that I found in a sticky for the Java and JSP forum, I seem to have all the tools I need to start learning java.

Still would be nice to have that SP book on java, but I'm sure I'll buy that when it's published.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan Dahlström
    Neat indeed. What version will it focus on, 4 or 5?
    PHP 5 - there's a lot of material on SimpleXML in the book. It also covers DOM and SAX.
    Simon Mackie

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sbdi
    If you goto the O'Reilly page it will list sitepoint books there (They publish the books).
    We still publish our books. O'Reilly just distribute them for us to bookstores in North America (they also distribute books for other publishers like No Starch and Paraglyph).
    Simon Mackie

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys keep making, and I keep buying (in other words, I keep making you money...hehe).

However, with school work, learning new languages, completing my internship, and looking for a job (and then real work initiatives), how the heck are us blokes supposed to be able to keep up with the presses?!?!

...btw, I'll probably be buying that XML+PHP book, even though my last purchased book (ASP.NET), I've only had time to get to Chapter 3...and the Tableless Design Using CSS, yeah...I flipped through the pages. Though I have used the CSS Tips, Tricks, and Hacks a bit already - it's a decent reference.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of:
    "No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP"

When covering PHP4.x, please ensure that you explain how to get salbotron, how to install it, how to put it on your live server (as well offline one) - and discuss whether salbotron is actually needed or not (I'm still convinced it isn't needed, I might be wrong).

When covering PHP5, please can you ensure that you explain where to get the necessary extension files - because php5 doesn't come with any extensions, whilst some flavours of php4.x did.

Also, it has to explain the benefits of XML/XSTL+PHP, I get confused to why I'd need it, or how I can sell it to a client.

The only example I can think of is:

Several supermarkets want to check and compare the price of bread and so they each send their XML documents + schema's to a central site
    Then I get confused -- so, if there's a case-study that explains why XML would be beneficial, that'd be great.

Bye.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats really weird is that I have ordered a few books from you, The CSS Anthology and, HTML Utopia. (which were great BTW)

But I just found out that a computer store here in Canada (right by my house) sells these (same price mind you), but I dont have to wait for it to arrive (which is not a problem considering you ship so damn fast )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A JSP book would be great.. also i would like to see a PHP/mySQL Projects book... a book that has 15-25 PHP/mySQL Projects that can and are in used in everyday web development projects... just an idea...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by user_A
    A JSP book would be great.. also i would like to see a PHP/mySQL Projects book... a book that has 15-25 PHP/mySQL Projects that can and are in used in everyday web development projects... just an idea...
    sounds exactly like what the PHP Anthology vol.I and II offers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure if anyone has noticed, but it seems like Java and Sun are in some sort of problem recently.
    What's going on?

"Calvin Austin has just left Sun, following on the heels of Josh Bloch and Gilad Bracha. These are not easily replaceable persons; these are leaders. " (http://onthethought.blogspot.com/)

I'm a .net evangelist/developer now, but was once into java.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already got money set aside for the new SitePoint book as I'm interested to put XML to some more use.

I'm hoping that my local Barnes & Noble can order the book for me. They have the SP books on their website, so they should be able to. This is because I have a gift card there. Otherwise I'll just buy it online, but I want it so bad!

SitePoint Enthusiast scattermachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Matt Mickiewicz:
    > "No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP" will be the next book out the door. Sometime in February.

This sounds like a winner. I hope it's got 'beginner' XML in there, as I'll be new to that topic.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP isn't for first-time PHP coders. We have the "Build Your Own Database-Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL" targeting that audience.

Regarding Barnes & Noble, etc. they will usually be able to get our books to you 4-8 weeks after they start shipping from SitePoint.com.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Enthusiast scattermachine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote:

> This sounds like a winner. I hope it's got 'beginner' XML in there, as I'll be new to that topic.

No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP isn't for first-time PHP coders...
    What level is the XML? I'm just a newbie with it, although I've had some experience with PHP. Would I need to read up on XML first?

Thanks!

Team SitePoint
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scattermachine
    What level is the XML? I'm just a newbie with it, although I've had some experience with PHP. Would I need to read up on XML first?

Thanks!
    It's a beginner-level XML book, so should be exactly what you're after.
    Simon Mackie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much looking forward to that one (XML)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "No Nonsense XML Web Development With PHP" has just been added to my purchase list! Great!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitly be waiting for that one. Sounds Great!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's february - can I order the new books yet?

Seriously though - I've been chomping at the bit ever since I got the email about the XML and DHTML books. Both books are exactly what I need right now - and I've been refreshing the site multiple times a day just to see if a buy now link has shown up yet. (yeah I'm a little obsessive).

Any chance for an update on if it may be early / mid / late February before we can order? I'd pay right now if it meant I might get the books even a day or two earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XML book is hopefully going to be available in late-February or early March, there's been some unexpected delays late in the editing process.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pre-order the SitePoint DHTML book from bookpool.com. Here's a link to the site: http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ehekt7npj4/sm/0957921896 They also have the other SitePoint books available if you search on Publisher. Great company to do business with and reasonable prices.
    Scott

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XML book is hopefully going to be available in late-February or early March, there's been some unexpected delays late in the editing process.
    I remember seeing this on I think Wal-Mart.com last October or so and it said it was coming out early December, dunno if that was ever planned or walmart was just tossing it out there, but unexpected delays suck :'(

Can't wait for that one personally. Want to learn XML and how it works with PHP, but from a brand new book with updated info etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smadeira
    You can pre-order the SitePoint DHTML book from bookpool.com. Here's a link to the site: http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ehekt7npj4/sm/0957921896 They also have the other SitePoint books available if you search on Publisher. Great company to do business with and reasonable prices.
    Just a heads-up that Bookpool, Amazon, B&N, Chapters, BAM, etc. won't have our books until 4-8 weeks after they've begun shipping through SitePoint.
    Follow me on Twitter.