SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to Put PHP Class Libraries on Virtual Server with Many Domains?

Hi. This is my first post here.

I have an account with a web host on a virtual server. I can have as many domains as I desire, and I am expecting to be adding as many as two a week once I get the infrastructure established..

So far I have been using static html, with some .htaccess use for some private pages. I had to do manual updates for new accounts/passwords.

Now, I am wanting to move into PHP/MySQL and I have learned a lot with Sitepoint books! I have been with computer technology since IBM released the PC, but serious web site design is fairly new.

Now, I feel like I am in the forest, and need to get a birdís eye perspective before I start structuring things.

I want to consider that I may move a domain to a new server, and hope to keep this task as simple as possible.

The web host has my account name as, sort of, my root, and each domain as a nested directory. There is no http access to my root directory.

Is my root directory the best place for PHP class libraries to go?

Where should I put the MySQL databases? Consider that I may want to move a domain to a new server, so I want the database for each domain to be distinct

Any special consideration for the PHP class libraries for the MySQL connectivity.

Other tips are most appreciated!

Thanks
    Stephen

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is my root directory the best place for PHP class libraries to go?
    Sounds like as good a place as any, anyplace that you can conveniently FTP to. Your host may need to adjust things like open_basedir for each domain.
    Where should I put the MySQL databases?
    You don't get to decide that.