SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question preformatted mailto: email message within javascript

In one of my web pages, I'm trying to preformat a "mailto:" URL email message (within javascript). When I have my browser (IE 6) email tool set to Outlook Express, the formatting works. When I have my browser email tool set to Yahoo Mail, the formatting is lost. Is ther a way I can get the formatting to work in Yahoo mail, and across all other mail tools?

I've tried using different character sets (hex, octal, and excape sequences {like \n}, but they all get stripped out. Here is a similar javascript function that I'm using:

function go(){
    window.location='user@domain.com?subject=Subject text&body=Body text line 1.%0ALine 2.\n';
    }

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the best of my knowledge preformatted mailto's only work on an email client that is installed on a persons computer (IE: outlook, outlook express, thunderbird) --- remember Yahoo mail is a web based application.

To be able to do what you want would require your website communicating with Yahoo's ...... this is not something that can be done with a plain html mailto or javascript with that fact ........ an knowing how most of these companies have locked down access to their mail servers I dont honestly think it could be done with a server-side language like PHP or Java..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx DC. I suspected it was not doable, but figured it was worth asking.