SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are WorldPay, Authorize.net, 2Checkout.com, the same type of service as PayPal?

I plan to use PayPal on a website but I am not confident that people that will be paying have PayPal accounts. I'm just researching other electronic payment methods.

If you would have any other options or recommendations for me I'd appreciate them.

By the way, the typical purchase amount on the site will be $5 -$10. I will probably be eaten alive by fees.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Worldpay for a lot of $10 payments... the fees aren't so bad.

Aaron

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Authorize.net is only a gateway. It does not offer credit card processing services.

And your average ticket is so low that you will be eaten alive by fees. Try to find a provider with a low transaction fee and no extra cost for AVS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what country you are located also. If you are in the United States, there are hundreds of options available to you. And usually a lot cheaper than Worldpay

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the U.S. and a few other countries purchasers do not need to have a PayPal account to pay you through PayPal.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worldpay is very expensive. $500 setup, $200 annual, $50 monthly, minimum $0.45 per transaction+tax. Even if you never use it, you pay annual fees.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys
    In the U.S. and a few other countries purchasers do not need to have a PayPal account to pay you through PayPal.
    Are you sure about that? It looks like you have to register for a PayPal account to send money.

By the way, I am in the U.S.

Thanks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Depends on what country you are located also. If you are in the United States, there are hundreds of options available to you. And usually a lot cheaper than Worldpay
    Even if there are hundreds of options available to me are only a select few of them reliable and highly secure?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    Authorize.net is only a gateway. It does not offer credit card processing services.

And your average ticket is so low that you will be eaten alive by fees. Try to find a provider with a low transaction fee and no extra cost for AVS.
    Stymiee, what is AVS?

By "gateway", does that mean they don't offer merchant accounts and they are just the 'interface' between the customer and the business?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edprush
    Stymiee, what is AVS?
    AVS stands for Address Verification Service and is basically a way to verify the billing address associated with a credit card. Theoretically, if the customer spending the money knows the street number and zip code of the billing address of the credit card they are likely to be the authorized cardholder and not a fraudster. It's not great but can be useful and is helpful with chargebacks.

By "gateway", does that mean they don't offer merchant accounts and they are just the 'interface' between the customer and the business?
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Even if there are hundreds of options available to me are only a select few of them reliable and highly secure?
    Most them are reliable and secure. You have a whole lot of options out there.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I wouldn't use your average transaction amount to decide whether to go with a third party processor or a real merchant account. I'd use your total monthly charges. If you're doing more than $2000 a month, I'd say you're better off with a real merchant account even though they have the monthly fees and minimums.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    Actually, I wouldn't use your average transaction amount to decide whether to go with a third party processor or a real merchant account. I'd use your total monthly charges. If you're doing more than $2000 a month, I'd say you're better off with a real merchant account even though they have the monthly fees and minimums.
    Are there other advantages/disadvantages of choosing a third party processor versus a real merchant account beside their fee structure/costs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there other advantages/disadvantages of choosing a third party processor versus a real merchant account beside their fee structure/costs?
    Using a third party processor, you usually do not get your money within 24-48 hours. You are also subject to their rules & regulations on top of Visa's. There is usually a higher discount rate as well. And you are usually taken to their secure website to collect credit card data. They will handle all customer service calls relating to the charges. Your chargebacks usually will not appear on your processing history, in case they get too high

Using your own merchant account, your name will appear on the consumer CC statement. You usually get your money 24-48 hours after the sale. You can use whatever gateway that you want and collect payments on your own secure website, to maintain consistency.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure about that? It looks like you have to register for a PayPal account to send money.

By the way, I am in the U.S.

Thanks.
    PayPal Account Optional should be available in these countries:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...07&postcount=3

When your customers are brought to the PayPal order screen they'll see a place to log in and "If you do not currently have a PayPal account [CLICK HERE]" ... clicking that button will bring them pages to enter their shipping and billing information (no PayPal account necessary).
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will soon have my own paypal type website and not just come cheap solarpay website