User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie questions! Tables/Layers, etc.

Hello all --

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm not being too repetitive... I did search the forum and didn't find all my answers, so here it goes.

This is my first real site design and I'm having trouble, first and foremost, figuring out what format to lay out in. I understand that layers work well for 4.0+ browsers. Isn't just about everyone using later browsers these days? I guess I'm asking, what is the benefit of using tables? When I've used tables in the past, it's been very difficult for me to get splices to line up and text to wrap where it's supposed to wrap, among other problems. I like layers because I can just put the layer where I want it and it stays there. Is there an advantage to using both together (or can you not do that)?

Actually, I'll leave it at that for now... any help would be greatly appreciated!

zayd

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use CSS instead, it might look a little strange at first but you'll pick it up real fast,, and once you do you'll ask yourself "Why dosent everyone do this"?, LOL, frames are restrictive to allot of search engine bots and allot of the people I know dont/wont use them anymore.. everyone is useing CSS and on the track to PHP

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turtleman,

Thanks for the reply... I've been looking into CSS and that's definitely the direction I'd like to go. However, I'm on a time crunch and need to get a site together within the next day or so, so I doubt I'll have enough time to learn the intricacies of CSS before my meeting Friday. But on that note, can you recommend any good tutorials for someone brand new to CSS?

For now, can I simply use layers and place them wherever I want them, or is there more to placing layers? For spliced images, is it better to put all the splices in one layer or should each image have a layer?

Thanks so much!

zayd

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres what I did.. after I go through the tutorials I click the "examples" section, that gives you a two window page , on the left side is the code and on the right side is what the page will look like,, you can add change text/images ect. ect. ect.,, then I copy the text and paste it into my dreamweaver for more editing,, just play with it I'm guessing in a few hours you'll have a CSS page

W3 Schools

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What exactly do you mean by layers?

You can make pretty much any tag a layer with CSS. It's all the same absolute positioning.

w3schools.com is a good starting point for CSS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help... I think I'll go through the w3schools tutorials before I do anything else.

Thanks!

zayd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck Zayd, very soon good things will come to you!

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CSS CSS CSS lol if you are on a time crunch use CSS templates of Dreamweaver