SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Table-less Layouts, Why?

I am not a web site designer so I don't keep up with the latest in this area. I have seen several references lately, where web designers are foregoing tables and using more and more CSS and DIV tags.

I would like to understand why? I thought tables were the most powerful pieces on the board.

In November, while trying to get things to work correctly for a multitude of browsers, I had to resort to tables for my personal blog (Q's Wire...). I like the results and it was what worked.

Q...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice presentation, thanks.

Q...

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup thats the best presentation for not having tables out there Ive ever seen. I actually have some of my clients go to that when I need to explain it (they are much better than I am at the explanation)

Another thing that is looming on the horizon is the adoption of all these new devices and things like rss feeds (really simple syndication) ....... The first feed I tried had a table layout and OH MY LORD was it a mess when I looked at it in a reader (thunderbird) ........ yowza!

We are on the brink of a giant step in device capability and migrating towards the new standards AND tableless code will help make that next step SO much more easier....... think forwards, not backwards!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this was mentioned in the above presentation, but tables don't render until all the content inside them has loaded. Div's on the other hand render almost instantly, making the information visible quicker.

It's also a heck of a lot faster to hand-code than tables.