SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68
  1. #26
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple has really nailed a nice price level with the Mac Mini, the new new iMac and the new iBook line. It's above normal PCs, but only a little bit, making the pruchase much more justifiable.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  2. #27
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkfreelance
    Nope....the actual spec isn't very good and you would need a monitor, keyboard and mouse that would end up putting the spec sky high...
    Most people would just plug their current equipment into the Mac Mini. This thing is meant for the "I'd buy a Mac if (it was cheap|I could use more of my own hardware)" market, which this thing meets perfectly.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Wizard ChrisRoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    just another.... iProduct
    But yeah if the iPod shuffle had a screen I'd probably buy it.
    Its priced right where Apple has no market share right now... the small MP3 players. Its going after the flash card market and once it gets that it will own 95% of the market with MP3 players. Smart move.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

  4. #29
    SitePoint Addict loadx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC, Australia
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new ipod shuffle, does it need the same crap software that the ipod did (ipod updater) etc... god that inhouse software sucked, untill i saw ephPod i had no idea just how bad the format of the ipod was, for instance take your ipod to a friends house connect it then install the packaged software open i-tunes to store some music on the pod and Voila! you have just successfully formated your ipod, oh but whats that you say, no dialog box came up to confirm this?

    if it hooks up like a normal flash drive does, mounting it as a storage device then it's worth buying oh and if it doesn't have that stupid ipod playlist format also because thats a pain in the ***.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Wizard LiquidReflex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,861
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the iPod Shuffle had a screen ... well, then it would just be a smaller iPod then wouldn't it? This is a different product for a different market. (also, the reason it is so cheap is because it doesn't have to worry about the screen and UI).

    As for the software, since it is an Apple product I'm going to assume that it uses the same software (or at least some other inhouse software). You won't find an Apple product that runs primarily Microsoft software ... just ain't gonna happen.

    I agree with Vinnie on the Mac Mini, it allows those who are interested in Macs to buy one without having to get the "whole Apple selection". Unless you never had a computer, most likely you will have a keyboard, mouse and maybe a monitor. Even if you don't, you have the option to buy the cheaper options instead of required to pay for the "fancy" Apple stuff.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

  6. #31
    l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReflex
    If the iPod Shuffle had a screen ... well, then it would just be a smaller iPod then wouldn't it? This is a different product for a different market. (also, the reason it is so cheap is because it doesn't have to worry about the screen and UI).
    That's exactly how I look at it. I think this was a smart move.

  7. #32
    ..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Benningen, Germany
    Posts
    6,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Apple has really nailed a nice price level with the Mac Mini, the new new iMac and the new iBook line. It's above normal PCs, but only a little bit, making the pruchase much more justifiable.
    Well, depending on the stuff you want in it it's really just a little above a decent pc, but add a dvd-burner, bluetooth+wlan and some more ram and you'll hit 1000 Euro easily...which isn't a good price anymore...I guess this won't be my first Mac - I guess it'll be an iBook as those really rock, even more if you can get a student discount
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

  8. #33
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loadx
    if it hooks up like a normal flash drive does, mounting it as a storage device then it's worth buying oh and if it doesn't have that stupid ipod playlist format also because thats a pain in the ***.
    You can use it as a normal flash drive as well. I think there is an option that needs to be ticked in iTunes first though.

  9. #34
    l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    "It's 2005. lo0ol was so 2004"." - stymiee
    I take mild offense to that, and wild offense to the fact that you seem to be degrading me behind my back in the uber private staff forums. :\

  10. #35
    + platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    6,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReflex
    If the iPod Shuffle had a screen ... well, then it would just be a smaller iPod then wouldn't it? This is a different product for a different market. (also, the reason it is so cheap is because it doesn't have to worry about the screen and UI).
    Well it is just a smaller ipod notice the "iPod" before the "shuffle" word lol I'm not talking about some giant screen plastered on the top, just a 2 line LCD or something which had the name of the song, allowed for navigaion and had battery life on it.

    The UI for the iPod was supposed to be one of its big selling points and the reason it was so popular. Seriously, I can pick up an 512mb MP3 player with USB, FM radio, inbuilt screen for under $40 US. I'd be willing to throw in some extra money for an apple product, but not when it's missing such important features.

  11. #36
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal
    Well, depending on the stuff you want in it it's really just a little above a decent pc, but add a dvd-burner, bluetooth+wlan and some more ram and you'll hit 1000 Euro easily...which isn't a good price anymore...
    Agreed, but if you're adding that stuff, you are in the market for an iMac rather than a Mac Mini, methinks. Also, consider that Mac OS X and iLife is included in the price of the hardware.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  12. #37
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    Well it is just a smaller ipod notice the "iPod" before the "shuffle" word lol I'm not talking about some giant screen plastered on the top, just a 2 line LCD or something which had the name of the song, allowed for navigaion and had battery life on it.

    The UI for the iPod was supposed to be one of its big selling points and the reason it was so popular.
    Well, the argument from Apple is that a 2 line LCD doesn't really allow for any real navigation (and that a clickwheel is massively overkill for just a hundred songs or so), and most people just play their songs on shuffle anyway.

    Seriously, I can pick up an 512mb MP3 player with USB, FM radio, inbuilt screen for under $40 US. I'd be willing to throw in some extra money for an apple product, but not when it's missing such important features.
    I'd like to know where the hell you buy your MP3 players, since I would also like to shop there! I can only find 128MB ones for that price. The lowest price for a 512 player I can find is 649SEK (US$94), and that is for a Inovix iMP-10, which is a noname low-quality player. I think the iPod shuffle (895SEK/US$130) is quite good value, actually. If you compare to actual brands like Creative Muvo, the iPod shuffles pricing really shines.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  13. #38
    BoOm-Rocka! Smarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iMac mini is a nice idea. I really want a Mac (little expensive!) to replace my PC. Although the iMac mini is nice, I'm not sure it's powerful enough for me to use as my main machine (dreamweaver and Photoshop) mainly!

    I would still like to see something inbetween the iMac mini and the iMac, maybe something a little bit more powerful (G5?) and without a screen (reduce cost)
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

  14. #39
    + platinum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    6,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    I'd like to know where the hell you buy your MP3 players, since I would also like to shop there! I can only find 128MB ones for that price..
    ebay, and heaps of consumer shops like woolworths, etc all sell them now as well, very cheaply.

    For example, I can buy a fully feaured mp3 player with all the important features of the ipod shuffle (and in some respects, more!) with an LCD screen for under $60 australian (ipod shuffle is $149 australian for the 512mb version).

    I mean really an MP3 player is a decoder (cheap), a bit of memory tacked on with a simple controller and a case - hardly a difficult device to construct, and it wouldn't have been much effort at all to add in some extras like an LCD screen. Big mistake IMO, wouldn't be surprised if the ipod shuffle 2 comes out with one.

  15. #40
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarky
    The iMac mini is a nice idea. I really want a Mac (little expensive!) to replace my PC. Although the iMac mini is nice, I'm not sure it's powerful enough for me to use as my main machine (dreamweaver and Photoshop) mainly!
    Hmmm. A 1.42ghz G4 should handle Photoshop just fine.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  16. #41
    Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Halmstad, Sweden
    Posts
    7,400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    ebay, and heaps of consumer shops like woolworths, etc all sell them now as well, very cheaply.
    I know, but where? $40 for a 512 player is amazing. I can't find it:
    http://www.woolworths.co.uk/wwstore/...earch_text=mp3
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

    Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

  17. #42
    ..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Benningen, Germany
    Posts
    6,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    Agreed, but if you're adding that stuff, you are in the market for an iMac rather than a Mac Mini, methinks. Also, consider that Mac OS X and iLife is included in the price of the hardware.
    True, I guess the targeted audience is the power-user but more the home-user/design-fan...no doubt it'll be a huge success IMO...

    on another note: if I had the extra money I would really consider it for use as a media-center in my living room
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

  18. #43
    Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Posts
    1,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The target audience is probably also the techno-hobbyist (like most people here) who have always wanted to play with a Mac to see what the big deal is, but who have been put off by the price. That's me, for one thing.

    Now you can buy one, and if you like it that much you might go buy a G5 in two years' time. If not, you've still bought one. Either way, Apple wins. It's the ideal "switch" platform I think.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

  19. #44
    BoOm-Rocka! Smarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal
    Well, depending on the stuff you want in it it's really just a little above a decent pc
    A little above a decent PC? Are you sure? I would say it's little above a budget PC. HAve you seen the frontside bus speed? At least it has a dedicated Graphics card but the video memory is not very high. Shame ther eare no upgrade options on that.

    still a nice option though!
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

  20. #45
    SitePoint Member cirisme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definately picking up a Mini-Mac this summer. I was contemplating getting a $2k Power Mac but I just couldn't justify it.

    This is easily justifiable

  21. #46
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    Off Topic:



    I take mild offense to that, and wild offense to the fact that you seem to be degrading me behind my back in the uber private staff forums. :\
    Off Topic:

    It's a JOKE!

  22. #47
    l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    5,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:


    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    Off Topic:


    I take mild offense to that, and wild offense to the fact that you seem to be degrading me behind my back in the uber private staff forums. :\
    Off Topic:

    It's a JOKE!
    Oh you know everything with me is a joke anyway.

  23. #48
    ..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Benningen, Germany
    Posts
    6,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarky
    A little above a decent PC? Are you sure? I would say it's little above a budget PC. HAve you seen the frontside bus speed? At least it has a dedicated Graphics card but the video memory is not very high. Shame ther eare no upgrade options on that.

    still a nice option though!
    Yup, it all comes down to your definition of a decent pc - for me a decent pc is something like (+/- 2.xGHz, 512MB, 80-x GB HDD, DVD-Burner, etc) so nothing fancy like a gaming machine...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

  24. #49
    BoOm-Rocka! Smarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well to me an average PC would be a 2.4ghz, 512 memory and 128mb of gfx

    I think the mini Mac would struggle to meet that based on my experences of the G4 1.4ghz processor and again the front side bus is very slow.
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

  25. #50
    SitePoint Wizard ChrisRoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the same old discussion... People that wouldn't ever purchase a Mac arguing that it still costs to much for what you get. These are the people that will never get one even if they were $100. G4's are plenty powerful to run all the design apps and then some. I know professional design studios and pro video places that still use G4's. But apple is not marketing the power user with these... its the user who surfs the net, maybe codes, sends images to the family members, makes movies of the family vacation.. etc

    When Apple figures out how to put the G5 in a powerbook, you will see it in a macmini. Anyday now...
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •