SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: php books

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking of buying beginning php from wrox. Does anyone know if it is a good book, or does anyone know about some other good php books?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer advanced php programming and i came to it as a complete beginner. i have both now but use advanced a lot lot more even if i am trying to learn something i know nothing about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Professional PHP Building from Wrox.... great book. I think it's the best book out there.
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I bought Beginning PHP 4 by wrox and I was really bored partway through the book. I saw PHP and MySQL Web Development. It is great for beginners and I like the way they give you the code and explain what each block of code does. I have also heard nothing but great things about Professional PHP Building from Wrox, but I have not had a chance to purchase it, but it will probably be my next.

Viper420

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya i wouldn't recomend beginners books for php cause when you get to a certain part you almost throw that book away. and you have to get the professional books. they all start out pretty much the same....
    I will Tell you what is wrong with your website and maybe what you can do to make it better.
    Professional Web Site Reviews ... Usability ...
    Contact Me god@stillsucks.com for more information ...
    look at my other reviews, to see what i have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so I can begin with profesional php even if I have no experience with php?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry that's not allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go for the latest Wrox book "Professional Php 4" which is available in june or july. If you wish to save money without buying beginning book, search for a thread posted by sitepoint member skunk for all tutorials available.

john

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that. Most are recommending the Professional book and you don't know the basics.

If your a nickel and dimer and want to spend less then try to learn the basics from the web tutorials out there. For the most part they are basic.

I'm experienced in Perl and PHP. I didn't get there overnight, and I sure didn't get there jumping to a Professional version of a book.

Start with the Beginning PHP. It's a great book to start with.

I've also found that PHP and MySQL Web Development is a tremendous book, and will carry many up to an intermediate level. You should have some programming background in advance, but it is quite an easy book to use that is well laid out. I would recommend this book first if you were able to learn from the web tutorials without much problem.

Later on you can jump into the Core and Professionals depending on your developement needs.

No offence intended to anyone here, but I see way to many posts where someone is asking for what book to use when they are starting out learning PHP and MySQL and they don't have any real programming experience. In the end all I see are recommendations to buy books that are way above their current level (the beginning).

I personally feel that many often forget that we all started at the beginning, and that is exactly what these people are looking for. Start at the beginning and go from there. Disappointment and just quiting the learning process come more often from jumping ahead into something that you have no, or very limited knowledge of. Jumping ahead is just not the place to start out.

Take care;

JT

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did start learning php from professional php programming, but not before i had read some quicky tutorials on the web. Looking over beginning php, which was not out when i started i felt it would have been harder to learn from - do not like how they do it as well.

Personally, i read read kyanks tutorial on php. Make sure you understand it fully and then get professional php programming.

but that is just my opinion.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by johnn
    I'll go for the latest Wrox book "Professional Php 4" which is available in june or july. If you wish to save money without buying beginning book, search for a thread posted by sitepoint member skunk for all tutorials available.

john
    The thead mentioned is linked to in my signature.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, I have reviewed both "Beginning PHP4" and "Professional PHP Programming" in the Reviews -> Books section of WebmasterBase.com.

Pro PHP is still my best recommendation for PHP beginners with some programming experience. It does not cover new PHP4 features such as sessions and here-doc syntax in depth, but it's a great guide to 90% of the language, and it's easy to pick up the other 10% online.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference