User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

over-exposed

I just did a search for my business name on Google and was amazed that it seemed to find every place I exist on the internet.

Unfortunately I was horrified to discover that the search results also included my posts on SitePoint. I've been sharing my mistakes and client issues and questions here, and now I find that anyone who does a search for me is pointed right to them. So I'd better NOT say anything here unless it promotes my business. I've been thinking of this as a learning environment. ARGH!!!

So how long are my current posts going to show up in Google searches? Are they archived out of reach eventually? Does everyone here smarter than me know to use this place strictly as a promotional tool? Can I just re-register with a totally anonymous user name?

Last post for now!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Ideas

Lin popularity helps alot in many search engines, especially google. I like to go looking for various related directories and sites that already have links to sites in my market. I then submit a link to them and move on. You can find alot of these by doing a reverse link lookup on your competitors in google. Also a listing in DMOZ and Yahoo counts for alot for google rankings. DMOZ results can pop you straight to the top on AOL as well.

Get a description and title with lots of keywords in yahoo and it will bring in good solid targetted traffic. If they dont give you a good listing with the business express submit, send in a reply and tell them why your description would benefit their users more. I've had AWESOME results with this second round submission.

Goto.com can be expensive, but there are some good alternatives. Sprinks has a wide reach, but doesn't generally come in a SE format, so your results are a bit less targetted. FindWhat has been great for me, delivering a good number of results in the 10c range. The key with buying traffic like this is knowing how much a targetted visitor(not a hit) is worth(including repeat visits). You need good tracking software in place for this.

Dynamic personalization is always important for repeat visitors. If you have a mailing list database, request their first name too and put in the email you send out to them. I've also been using geobutton.com and put text on my main page that looks something like "We welcome our visitors from <their city>, <their state/region>.". I hide the link it creates with some fancy CSS.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more idea. If you are thinking about the inktomi quick spider deal, go through networksolutions.com. The trick is that you can change the url every 2 days(without paying extra) and have them spider something else. Even if it is on a different domain. Works really well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom screen savers have worked great for us. But I don't want to break the rules and advertise my site here.
    ---
    Free custom screen savers for your website.
    http://www.1234screensavers.com
    Join our affiliate program!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ady,

Here's what you should do:

(1) Targeted ezine advertising. Find common points of interest similar to your site. Finding an ezine with a topic unrelated to your site may increase your hits but your sales will virtually not go up.
    (2) Search engine placement of course is critical in the main ones.
    (3) Signatures are very good such as in these discussion forums.
    (4) Targeted banner advertising on sites that are not competitive but compliment your product line.
    (5) Develop an article and submit to targeted ezines and include your URL signature.
    (6) Put articles on your site to develop greater search engine presence and keep visitors on your site.
    (7) Offer FREE things on your site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never realised Yahoo categories were in alphabaetical order, tho think about it now it makes sence

I've never been able to get a site listed in yahoo

cheers
    Steve
    Website design for small businesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    advisor edit>>>>

Advertising of one's own services is not permitted in these forums. Please read the Guidelines.
    Last edited by Saz249; Oct 11, 2001 at 09:19.
    by(t)e foxxx
    NETonE - High Quality Networking - Home of phpBazar, pB-phpPicLib, pB-Sales, phpListPro,
    phpBook(FREE), phpList(FREE), phpVote(FREE), phpUseronline (FREE)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't pay to get in Yahoo!!

Just be patient.. Keep resubmitting, reminding them.. Its a long process but pays off..

We are now in the "most popular" list under the category bodybuilding and traffic has gone up significantly..

You know whats wierd is most of my traffic is a direct request.. alot comes from yahoo but thats about it..

One thing I think will help me is link swapping.. I am gonna be putting a lot of effort into this as its something I velieve in for generating traffic. Getting your name out there..

having a community really helps.. People are talking, they will talk about you on other forums and to their friends..

I am also going to spend some money on magazine advertising very soon.. Has anyone done this?
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloughie,

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

You said “don't pay to get in Yahoo!”. Don’t you have to pay if your site is commercial? It sounds like yours is. Is there another way?

Also you said most of your traffic is “a direct response”. What did you mean by that?

Thanks for the clarification.
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as I am aware the $200 charge is JUST for review.. thats it.. They can still turn your site down and you lose your money... Just be patient.. Tehy will get to you.

My site is not commercial. It doesn't have any products at all.. Not yet

As for direct hit I mean not referred from another site. Its strange we keep getting bigger but the stats still show a large majority as typing in wannabebig.com and not coming from somewhere else. I guess this tells me I need to get my act together and work harder on marketing
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell-a-friend: The 3 reasons why they work

1. Your site is simply spectacular. Breathtaking graphics, perfect colors, unique and exclusive content, loads in milliseconds etc. etc. If you have such a site, GREAT! You'll get tons of referrals every day (unless your visitors want to keep your incredible site a secret)

2. You are maximizing the referrals of every visitor which is willing to tell-a-friend link by making it easy for them to refer as many friends as possible. This can be achieved by inserting a simple JavaScript which launches the visitor's own email program (not web based). Opening the visitor's default email program will give him access to their address book and therefore allow him to easily select several friends' emails by simply clicking on them. The JavaScript can be customized to insert a pre-defined subject title and message in the email message, making it even easier for your visitors. Unfortunately, you cannot measure your success or keep a log of referrals.

3. Your tell-a-friend program is based on incentives or contests. Every time they refer someone they are entered in a contest... the more they refer the greater their chances. This method is extremely effective especially when you give your visitor a chance to see how many visitors they've referred.

<advisor edit: URL removed. Self-advertising. Ask an advisor for more information>
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 10, 2001 at 04:06.
    Dotfactor.com provides tools, ideas and interactive marketing
    solutions for online businesses. Use our marketing resources
    to get more traffic to your site, to get it faster and to profit from it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by moospot
    My best traffic building technique invloves creating multiple domains with keyword rich names (i.e. www.keyword-phrase.com). I build these sites with a different look, never a copycat of the original. After those domains are created, I submit them through the usual channels, Yahoo, LookSmart, DMOZ, Inktomi, Altavista, then the free engines. Now I have 5 sites with great keyword rich domain names that are listed in al the directories and search engines. I've doubled my traffic in one month's time. I've done this without using GoTo or other PPC engines to promote these sites.

As far as the single most effective tool, I would have to say Inktomi, hands down. They have such a wide exposure AOL, GoTo, MSN, LookSmart, etc. plus they index your site very quickly so that optimization efforts are quickly rewarded. For $30 (then $15 for the additional domains), it is definitely worth the money.
    I was considering this. I don't mind investing in some domain names as they come pretty cheap these days. But I am concerned about the hosting costs for 5 more sites. If I use a free host and only direct the domain to that site, would I still be listed in the SE by my domain or would they use the long free host URL?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Domains always rank better than subdomains. What I mean is:

www.fish.com

will rank better than

fish.your-freehost.com

I am lucky because my boss owns our hosting company. So basically, it's free. I am sure that you can find domain hosting somewhere rather cheaply nowadays. If you need some prices on hosting, PM or email me.

Another thing is free hosts usually have pop up ads that are just plain annoying.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Edited by advisor>

A really good viral marketing concept is FastFreeway. It's a startpage program, by far the most generous I've seen.

You earn traffic to your own site when you open your browser, and see another member's site. And when you sign up people under you, you get 2/3 of the hits they earn. The whole thing is free of course. Being the cheap a$$ I am, its ideal.

I signed up last friday, set up some banners on my site to get referrals, and now I'm getting over 1000 hits per day from FastFreeway alone.

Obviously if you don't sign anyone up, its pretty pointless, cuz you can only earn 25 hits/day yourself. But if you have a website that gets some traffic, just dump their banner on your site and you'll start getting people signing up under you.

What a concept
    Peace,
    tommmy

oh ya, the addy <advisor edit: breach of our advertising guidelines. Please ask an advisor for more info>
    Last edited by mmj; Nov 10, 2001 at 04:05.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really do not understand the startblaze thing

whats the point of having 1000 hits if none of them even look at your site.

I would rather have 10 targeted visitors. Some people just love seeing the counter go up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree:

I've tried all those programs and they are worth ZERO.

If you want an even funnier one, look at AutoHits, you dont even need to click to surf. You can rack up credits like crazy just by leaving your browser open. Of course, no one else looks at their browser while its surfing either....

thanks...chris
    Thanks...Chris
    ---
    Need Expert Advice? Go to AdviceTrader, where 1700+ advisors can
    bid on, or quote a price for, answering your questions.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested in making a screen saver or two.
    Can anyone recommend some free software?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow thinkfuture & fonzerelli_79

GOSH !
    I'm getting tired here.
    Twice I've written 2 long replies & 1st the electricity ruins things & next the Submit button takes me to a blank page !
    Badddd !

Now I'll have to keep it in bullet point short format ; )

Was with 6-7 statpage progs.
    Used only 1 actively.
    Got 150 or so referrals.
    Initially-all active & so got 100-150 hits to my site.
    Later between 30-50 & now 15-30.
    After about 5000 hits I hardly made 5$.
    But then atlast I tweaked so those kinda folks coming could make use of what I provided & voila, had near 100$ in sales that month !

So, in short, you guys are right, most of that traffic is useless, but then what's important is how you use the commonly referred to worthless traffic to earn from them. Just a little creativity would do.

thinkfuture : I just signed at your site, have not completed configuring & stuff.
    But just wanted to tell you, it's a very good effort as from what I currently see. I am SURE< if you keep it going well, you could EASILY get funding//additional f... soon from interested firms.
    Best wishes on the project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More tips

Hi some short ideas,

- Exchange ezine ads with eachother(With me )
    - Get downloadable wallpapers which state your URL
    - Get in dmoz.org
    - Swap links with fellow webmasters
    - Write articles and post them everywhere
    - Have your own ezine or newsletter
    - Make your site stand out
    - Get a robots.txt file(on my webtoolcentral.com you
    can make one yourself)
    - Measure your hits and where they came from,
    and use that to target your audience.

That's about it ... for now

J.
    Last edited by jstraathof; Jan 28, 2002 at 05:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't see how a robots.txt would help any
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some engines like robots.txt files, the more unknown ones, like voila in france uses them. They're not for nothing, see your log files !

BR,

Js

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, to me if seems they are only useful for blocking SE's
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone has good ideas about how to investing traffic?

I think traffic is electronic instant food for every web site, we have to use it or waste it instantly.

I have a test model recommendasite.com, be appreciate any feedbacks on the model.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All

I will be reading this thread from top to bottom for details and hints as to where I have messed up.

I have added content.

Made it into a mysql db

Programmed it with php.

Bought, yes hard money there, a license for vBulletin and installed the same.

I gave up being an Advisor on this forum to dedicate more time to the site.

And where am I, still dead in the water.

So I am going to read.

peace and best wishes

ed

That's a bulldog skull... StateDOG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ed...

Try submitting your site to the Website Review section and let the people there give you some advice on it. Maybe they can give some pointers about it.
    Now Here........ Mississippi Sports Talk
    This is me blog... StateDOG.com