User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ady,

Do you have results now of your test with the robots.txt file? Would be interesting to see how that worked out?

C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PARTNERSHIPS!

I run several soccer sites and one of them is AC Milan Online, http://www.acmilan-online.com
    I gotta say that in March this year I've joined the Soccer Alliance and it's going great.
    SA is a network of soccer sites, the best ones, and I'm a member of it. Therefor am receiving lots of traffic from there.
    Then comes the partnerships [=exchenging buttons or links on the main page]. I have about 20 partners [check the freinds on my main page], 12 button exchanges and 7-8 links at the jump menu.
    The thing is that the buttons are only given to the sites that get me the most traffic, and the rest [from position 13 and so on] are going at the jump box. That's why I get loads of traffic from my partners.
    In March I had 90 visitors per day. After I joined the SA I had 250 per day. In mid April I had about 400. In mid May about 600-700 and right now about 900.
    The nice thing is that some of the lowest ranked sites from my partnerships [the one at the jump menu] are trying their best to increase my traffic and therefore get a button spot. And that's COOL!
    Moreover, I also be having special partnerships.
    Right now I have one with soccergamer.com that has made a special section for my AC Milan menubars over at cmfaq.com in which they show them to the visitors, etc. And the thing is that the download rate practically jumped. And my URL in those menubars are everywhere. I'm practically the only AC Milan site who offers this service fo the fans!
    What else can I say? Many people recommend my site. Competition is though, especially at the downloads area [esp. wallpapers] and people started to recommend my site to others in several forums. For example, a dude starts a thread about Championshim Manager and tells the rest of the dudes that he plays with Milan bla bla bla and so on and so forth. And then another dude comes and says to the thread starter: "Hey dude, I just got myself some great AC Milan Championship Manager from AC Milan Online. Go to their site and check them too."
    And this is GREAT!
    Also, unique content and unique news items are boosting your traffic. For example if I had an exclusive report or an exclusive news item regarding a transfer or something, a visitor sees it and says to him: "Yo man, you know what, I heard Milan will buy Boskovic and Niculae!". "Man, where did you heard that from?". "From AC Milan Online. It kicks ***." And so on.

Best regards,
    David.
    Soccer Directory | Travel Directory
    (free - reciprocal will give you featured status)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

promotion technique

The thing that has worked best for me is offering former clients (actually friends, family, anyone!) a 10% commission for any client they refer to me who signs a contract. I get clients on my own too, of course, but I no longer bother paying for advertising or spending my time out there hustling clients. They come to me.

One former client has sent me two new clients in the last 90 days. I'm presented as an affiliate of his company. Typically he knows the people he refers to me quite well. It's a win-win deal. The clients I get this way are wonderful to work with and are already inclined to hire me before we even speak because of the recommendation they've received. Love it!

Marketing Guru ;) Johan Malmberg's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promotion technique

Hi,

You have many interesting ideas. I got some new ideas from reading this thread that I will try soon.

Many things I have tried have been successful (searchengines, e-mailing magazines...) but there is one promotion method that has been superior to the others.

When I started www.liscreensavers.com a couple of months ago I released 10 free screensavers and two screensavers that you could order. I didn´t know where to start the promotion of my new site (SE, link-exchange...). Finally I decided to send the free screensavers to download sites. At some download-places I was added directly (one was 3dfiles.com). The next day I visited 3dfiles to see if i had any downloads...

The two screensavers I had submitted the day before had now been downloaded 10000 times over one night.

I recived many vistors from that since my url is in the logo that appears when you start the screensaver.

My latest screensaver (MIR Reentry) was downloaded 20000 times the first day at 3dfiles. (Download.com has also given a huge amounts of downloads.) In MIR Reentry a text appears in the screensavers telling the users about the screensavers they can order from my site. This is working very well.

Keep on sending these great tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks!

Wow, such good ideas! I'm blown away!
    I think i'm gonna try:
    *pop-up subscription page
    *creating free screensavers =)
    *some other ideas but i don't hav etime this second...g2g!!
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! My site is my first and really new - just live one month - so I've got a lot to learn which is why I try to keep up on these forums.

One thing I did see from following advice to search for and develop reciprocal links is that it makes a big difference who you link to. Four of the sites I contacted linked back to me within a few days. Three of them average sending 1 or 2 visitors a day to my site. The fourth one sends over 150 visitors a day (over 900 each of the first few days).

I'm still learning how to interpret the reports, but with returning visitors, it looks like traffic went from under 50 visitors a day to 1000+ overnight.

The lesson is get links to sites with lots of traffic. That sounds so obvious now that I've written it, but it was a lesson I had to learn.
    Lee Nelson
    Look Around everyone’s favorite city!
    iNeTours.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Paul Reilly

Paul, i'm Nicola from Italy.
    I'm setting up a personal website to trying selling my music, as you did. I'd like to share ideas about promoting a music website, and expecially tips on selling CDs.

Thanks
    Nicola
    Free Mp3 Download and bonuses:
    http://www.nicolaboschetti.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nicola

OK just a few questions..

How many tracks do you have prepared to go as MP3s?

What genre does the music fit best?

Are you subscribed to every mailing list for that genre?

Is there anything stopping you from becoming a Zen warrior,
    ie. Song writers, performers, label, publishers?

Let me know and I'll come up with a plan : )

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Paul,

the idea of this website is to try selling "real" CDs (not Mp3s).
    I'm a musician and i'm usually selling CDs at gigs, concerts, etc etc (in "real" world :-).

So, the idea is to put on the site information on my music, and give visitors a chance to buy them, thru direct request or by Credit Card (i'm also looking for a CC account, like CcNow.com).

My music is instrumental, kind of jazz, newage and fusion music.

I can put MP3 to download, but just for a small sample.... i dont want to duplicate my mp3.com pages

I'm not subscribed to any music mailing list at this moment.

>
    Is there anything stopping you from becoming a Zen warrior,
    ie. Song writers, performers, label, publishers?
    >

What you mean? Please tell in other words (i'm not english, man! :-)

Later,
    Nicola
    Last edited by nicbos; Jul 13, 2001 at 08:35.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since I added a pop up with a cookie that expires
    in 24 hours I've seen our newsletter subscriber base
    increase quite nicely.

I also participate in many forums and discussion
    lists a few of which have brought us new clients.

One e-mail discussion list has brought us a new partner
    to resell our SEO services from India. We've already started
    work on the first client from them.

Another place we got a client from recently was www.infomarkets.com.
    This is a site where experts answer questions and get paid doing it.
    A client went to the site searched for online marketing which my profile
    can up under, visited our site then chatted with us live via Human Click then
    called us on our toll free number and a few weeks later we had a check from
    them.

We're also a member of the BBB which I think helps instill trust. All those little
    things helped us land that client.

I've also placed a sticker on the rear window of my car. I don't
    think it's working very well yet but it's still early. It's only been a few
    weeks since I've had it on there.

Haig Sakouyan
    Internet Marketing Made Easy
    My Marketing Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nicola

Sorry I took so long getting back, been really busy putting together a viral ebook.

OK where were we..

You want to sell CD online, not Mp3s, ok we'll look at it a different way.

How much traffic are you getting?

How big is your opt in list

we can take it from there..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Paul,

> How much traffic are you getting?

A bit. The site was launched on Monday 16 July.

> How big is your opt in list

I dont have an opt-in list.
    Do you think it might interest to anyone? It is a personal site, so what can i offer to my subscribers? News about my activities?

Nicola

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Paul and nicbos:

Guys, I appreciate you're trying to help eachother out here and that's great. But this thread is designed to be a collection of hints & tips on promoting a site. Private discussions like the one you're having may best be kept to PMs or e-mail.

Thanks,

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluffykins,

Thank you so much for starting this thread! I have learned so much. I plan to implement a lot of the strategies that are mentioned here.

A way that I have found that gets me a lot of subscribers to post here in these forums. 40% of my traffic comes from my signature file.

Another way that I have found that works is to write articles and submit them to places such as SitePoint, 123 Webmaster, and other similar sites.
    Corbb O'Connor
    Looking for quality website design or database programming?
    Contact me for more information and a FREE quote!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and one more thing.

If you submit your site to Google, and get accepted (which is pretty easy) your site will most likely end up on Yahoo! because Google's search results feed into them. So you don't have to do what SharpNET said about paying $200 to get reviewed by Yahoo!

Also, Matt Mickiewicz said that he paid the $200 to get into Yahoo! and never got his site reviewed.

One of my friends, Harmony Major, has writen an article (located here) about how to get into Yahoo! directly without paying the $200.
    Corbb O'Connor

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viral marketing rocks!

The trick is figuring out what happened. Daily traffic increased from just over 600 to 4500 visitors last friday. Not showing up on search engines yet so that wasn't it. Didn't all come from one place/country so can only guess that someone recommended it in a newsletter or forum of some kind. Newsletter subscriptions increased also, from 12 total before to +35 that day.

I'd sure like to be able to repeat whatever happened as numbers are drifting down towards 1000.

Anybody have suggestions as to what would cause such a jump and how to encourage it? Or how to read web stats for more information (earthlink/Urchin reports)?

Thanks.
    Lee Nelson
    iNeTours.com

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you submit your site to Google, and get accepted (which is pretty easy) your site will most likely end up on Yahoo! because Google's search results feed into them. So you don't have to do what SharpNET said about paying $200 to get reviewed by Yahoo!
    Not quite Corbmacc,

Definitely go after the Google listing, you will receive a nice amount of traffic from Google and its partner sites. Be patient, often your link won't filter through to the partner sites for a few weeks, but sometimes sooner, it all depends on the site.

One of these partner sites is the infamous Yahoo! Please pay attention here: Yahoo does not do its directory based on Google results. However, Yahoo searches Google for additional sites pertaining to the search query and then lists these results on a separate page. Don't get me wrong, you can still receive a decent amount of traffic from Yahoo through this route (I received an extra 60 per day.)

Please note that this is NOT a substitution for your Yahoo listing. The Yahoo listing is still very important as you will receive a much larger amount of incoming traffic from them.

In many cases, paying the $200 7-day fee is worth it. Think about it, would you rather have your Yahoo traffic start this Saturday, or two months from this Saturday?

Let the traffic flow ASAP. This will be very beneficial to your sales, newsletter subscribers, ramping period, and your web traffic overall.

Bottom line, go for the Google AND Yahoo listing. And if you have an extra $200, cough it up. You'll be glad you did.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

In response to your questions:

Do you keep a record of all the e-mails you have sent to
    your subsciber list?

A) Yes. Easy so far because my site is just over one month old and I have sent out 1 free monthly email.

Is your list attrition still increasing?

A) I think there was a communication error on my part. No list attrition to date. It was the daily visitors are dropping, though page views are holding up. There is lots to see on my site - requires multiple visits.

Could I interview you for the next edition of theViral Marketing e-Zine

A) Yes. With the understanding that I am very new at this and have limited real world experience. Most of what I know comes from these forums.
    Lee Nelson
    iNeTours.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viral explosion

By list attrition I simply mean subscriber rate.

would you email me the last 2 emails you sent before
    things started getting exciting.

send to : paul@systemsinplace.co.uk

New to this game or not, most viral successes
    happen by accident, and if this is such a case
    then my readers need to hear about it. : )

Did you hear about a girl called Claire Swires?
    there was a viral accident if ever I hear of one.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Google Ad Words and are not very satisfied. Targeted to the German market with keywords specificied for my site. Click-through rate was under 1%. I adjusted the keywords to get more impressions but also had to look for the dime to not burn my money so fast. In my eyes it is not a good advertisement tool if you do not have a big budget. If you have big budget you wouldn't use Google Ad Words - I guess. I spent $50 but decided to stop my ads now because of low success.

Christoph
    The-USA dot net - PR4 Web Directory

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best traffic building technique invloves creating multiple domains with keyword rich names (i.e. www.keyword-phrase.com). I build these sites with a different look, never a copycat of the original. After those domains are created, I submit them through the usual channels, Yahoo, LookSmart, DMOZ, Inktomi, Altavista, then the free engines. Now I have 5 sites with great keyword rich domain names that are listed in al the directories and search engines. I've doubled my traffic in one month's time. I've done this without using GoTo or other PPC engines to promote these sites.

As far as the single most effective tool, I would have to say Inktomi, hands down. They have such a wide exposure AOL, GoTo, MSN, LookSmart, etc. plus they index your site very quickly so that optimization efforts are quickly rewarded. For $30 (then $15 for the additional domains), it is definitely worth the money.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daniel, can you PM me a few of these keyword-phrase URL's? I have been thinking about doing this for one of my sites, i would love to get some ideas.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yahoo

I'm thinking about paying the $200 to get my web design site listed on Yahoo. Any success stories? Can you really generate a lot of traffic that way with thousands of other web design firms competing for attention? Thanks!

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you notice when you do a Yahoo search, the categories are listed alphabaetically. One trick is to find a category that your site will fit in that is as high on the list as you can get. Usually, the regional ones are higher than business listings. Another trick is to write a good description on your site for the search engine. If you get some keywords in there, then your chances of getting good search results in their directory are better than average.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teladora,

Read this great article by Harmony Major on getting into Yahoo! here.

Hope that helps!

-Corbb
    Corbb O'Connor