SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GORF: It's only really usefull if you mail to people with interest in your websites' topic. When mailing friends it's only a way to create distants between you and your friends. I've experienced it myself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Top 5 ways I have found sucessful

Greetings all! I have found the following things CRUCIAL when trying promote and drive traffic to any of my websites!

1- WOM (Word of Mouth)
    It has and will always be the cheapest, easiest and fastest way to promote your website with credibility. If you have designed some great websites and have happy customers, keep them happy and they will pay you more than what they paid for your services by the future clients they send your way.

2- Proper site optimization & content
    Let's face it. It isn't enough creating a website and submitting it to the mythical one million search engines. (I laugh at companies that promise this!!) Proper study of keywords, placement, optimization and content are all key factors in getting onto the search engines. I highly suggest getting listed in dmoz.org as well.

3- Link Popularity
    Several years ago I was under the impression that when someone wanted to trade links with my sites they were wasting their time. Look at them now!!! Not just any links from websites but a created themed link directory with QUALITY links that your target audience will find helpful. I generate lots of traffic from my quality link partners.

4- Newsletter or Site Updates
    How do you know the name and email address of someone that came to your site that is possibly interested? NEWSLETTER or SITE UPDATES! I have found creating a simple php/mysql collection for this has paid me back 10 full! I now have an email address and a name of someone that wants to know more about my company, services and the specials we offer. My best customers are repeat customers!

5- Tell a Friend
    One day I experimented with a site and put a "Tell a friend about our site" form on the main page. The results were outstanding!!! Out of 100 visitors we averaged 40 of them submitting our site to a friend who had the same or similar interests and needs! Easy to do and goes a long way!!

For what it is worth that has been what I found to be crucial in my business.

Jonathan Searle
    Web Site Design & Marketing
    "Get ready for results"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think viral marketing can be very helpful to increase visitors but on the other hand it's very dangerous if you start your campaign too early. Viral marketing is powerful but not very controllable so you should have everything ready around your website.

My favorite concept of marketing is as follows

1. get a beta version of your site online and use your social networking skills (friends, colleagues, ...) to first test it out
    2. correct errors, enhance the site experience (look at stats what pages are top10, find spots where you could place subliminal messages)
    3. spread it to your 2nd close contacts (have a tell-a-friend, referral system ready or any other features unique to your visitors)
    4. testing period, further enhancements (calculate the server power you'd need for more people, little design modifications, incorporating ideas by the first visitors)
    5. push into forums related to the website you've created
    6. get 2nd level press echo on some specific newssites (smaller, non-commercial websites with authors you can easily catch by e-mail)
    7. spread it to your really important contacts (you've been in the news, etc.)
    8. release some new features (make your site worth to be checked out again after some weeks/months)
    9. get into the 'real' press, eg. newspapers, magazines (enough people know about it, ideally already the authors have heard about the site)
    Factolex.com - short and concise explanations

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initially, I got most of my traffic from forums related to the topic of my site. Signatures are the most common way to do this, but since my site contains so much unique, interesting content (in my target audience's eyes) I can actually post samples of my content with links to my updates in stuff in their own threads as announcements. This is something to be very careful with--the announcements have to have value as a standalone contribution to the forum. They can't just tell people to go to your site. (Except maybe for one announcement, if the site is relevant to the forum and you've just created it.) Some webmasters are territorial about this anyway and won't allow it... I'd say maybe 50/50. But among users of these forums, the ratio of positive to negative comments is more like 50:1. So I just figure out which forums have mods that are friendly to my methods and post there when I add a lot of new content.

However, more recently, I've not been adding a lot (busy with school, and it's the off season for trout fishing), but search engines have really picked my site up and the vast, vast, vast majority of my new traffic now comes from google. My top key phrases bring in only 200 or so visitors a month... but I rank very high for several thousand low competition key phrases. Each one brings in a few people here, a few people there... and it really adds up much more than optimizing the hell out of my site for a few select words would.

Finally, I've got to mention word of mouth. I'm not sure what proportion of my traffic comes that way, but I know it's fairly high. Again, the content determines that completely. It's really cool to hear from people who learned about my site when their friend called them up to tell them about it or something.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm new

I'm new and I found that so far the best results I've gotten are from just a few replies to forums like this one, making sure to have my signature set up. I even set up a free advertising forum to keep people coming back while provideing a service they could really use. But l also found a very viral system involving some funny videos that display at the top of the screen while your site is displayed below it. I sent the links to the videos to some of my friend and they did the rest of the work for me. I have gotten a lot of extra traffic with this method. So basically I'm saying find something that people enjoy and let it do the marketing for you. If people enjoy it, they will pass it around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with you on this one. Posting on forums and including info about your site in your signature is great. I own a few sites and this technique has proven to be the best way for the types of sites I have.

Jaks
    Truly Unusual Things
    TrulyUnusual.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Networking

Hey everyone!

This is a fantastic thread! I have tried everything, I recently became a member of a new Networking community called Instant Buzz, you can join free by invitation only. Maybe we could get something going here where I can give up my last invitations to SitePoint members only, ok I already posted that in the fourm as I thought it up

As I said, I only have 19 invitations left and i'm willing to give them to SitePoint forum members. Just send me an email with your name and your contact email address, this is not an autoresponder and you will receive no advertisements from me, just the invitation.

Now Instant buzz is a fantastic networking site, I havent found anything else like it to date and i've been promoting for 8 years now.

In my first 2 days of being a member of that site I have already had 1000 hits to my site and 5 sales!!!!!!

Its a great community and there are professionals from every facet of business.

So lets start something here, I will give up my 19 invitations, and then we will have 19 members with 30 invitations each to give out. You make no money with Instant buzz, this is only for Networking and gaining traffic to your site. Thats why I like it so much.

Best Regards to you all oh and Happy Holidays!

Michelle
    Last edited by milee05; Dec 22, 2004 at 02:48. Reason: left out info
    http://www.can-brandon.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good info

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far

The most success:
    signature in forums
    Submit link to important sites

failure:
    Spam in Trade section of forum
    Incentive traffic
    manual traffic exchange
    CDHouse.Biz
    Cheap Linux, FreeBSD, OpenOffice CDs

SitePoint Evangelist on_way_to_fame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. cobranding - create duplicate/mini/micro sites for selected sites to integrate - quite successful - increases traffic, increases revenue, also can start an alternate revenue stream
    Can anyone elaborate more on this ?

I think viral marketing can be very helpful to increase visitors but on the other hand it's very dangerous if you start your campaign too early. Viral marketing is powerful but not very controllable so you should have everything ready around your website.
    I think this is an extremely important point..Some other really nice suggestions as well Nader..good job.
    Last edited by on_way_to_fame; Jan 5, 2005 at 20:25.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sell your knowledge

Hi,

There is a new site that can help you sell your knowledge and let know of your services. It is called ASKOOL : http://www.askool.com.

Thank you for all the help I found in your forums.

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the great knowledge you people share.

I want to share something too, it is my own article website. You can find it in my signature!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along those lines. Write a couple of articles yourself and submit them to the article
    sites (goarticles, articlecity, ezinearticles come to mind). You'll get exposure on the site, if you put a link in your tag then a link from the site itself, and when people use your articles....well it'll just feed upon itself from there.

Also, Digital Point has a free weight based advertising Coop that works well. Though this has probably been mentioned in this thread before given its popularity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

I agree, the good old fashioned method of hard work requesting link exchanges and posting to directories from related sites always pays off in the long run.

http://www.websiteaz.com
    Arizona Web Design
    http://www.websiteaz.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing ideas guys. thanks

alot of these ideas are for sites that are selling things. what about resource sites and forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truelysam
    So far

The most success:
    signature in forums

failure:
    Incentive traffic
    manual traffic exchange
    Yes. Thats one of the best promotion tips any webmaster should use.
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by truelysam
    So far

The most success:
    signature in forums

failure:
    Incentive traffic
    manual traffic exchange
    Is it possible to sticky a single post? This one is deserving

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this has to be one of the longest threads anywhere, I think this is my first post here, I've been a member for ages but I've been doing other things, like getting 500 number one SE results and generating 55millions in loans through my site, all via SEO -with a litle bit of ppc - but nothing heavy. Who said Content is King, it's way back in this thread, but it shows I have read it all. He or she was right.
    Here is how to make your site make you money, First, Content, and News Updates, every week, week in and week out add something new to your pages and get rid of old things. Get a Google Tool Bar and go to Google Alert, get it, add your keywords and everyday you will get a Google Alert read the article and reply, find the writer, find their editor, and put something contentious - not rude but authoritive to them and ask if they will print your URL, we went one better and got a National TV (BBC) Station in our offices, filming and we went out on the 6pm news.
    Don't submit to SE's that is old hat, those day's are long gone, use Directories, here this will get you started and keep you busy for months www.pheedster.com/directories.php
    If you have problems getting your stats put www.statcounter.com on your site, caution, use a difficult codename, it is possible to hack through counters.
    Follow your competitors sites and do a simple "theirsite" and follow their links and add yours. Think Initials, mine are CTAB try it anywhere, I don't need to advertise, but if I did I would simply place an add that said' Need a Mortgage? Search CTAB on any Search Engine' - that is not self promotion, go to www.webproworld.com and read our threads there. Go to loads of forums, read the posts before posting.
    Try adding the word 'FACTS' to your pages, ie 'Get the Facts About X' try it in Google search on your keywords, it might work. Think mega description and site content and keep submitting to Directories. Good luck David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One and only so far: Search engines.

SitePoint Enthusiast ldylion214's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines and link exchanges for me, but am open to anything.
    Nicci VanCleave
    Tribe Azure Jewelry
    Custom Native American Jewelry created by Ron Henry
    http://tribeazure.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like so many have said... I find that my signature... here and on other forums really stir up some decent traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast ldylion214's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search engines, but not paid ads. Also, adwords does not seem to be a good source for hits in my area.
    Nicci VanCleave
    Tribe Azure Jewelry
    Custom Native American Jewelry created by Ron Henry
    http://tribeazure.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a backlink, no matter how small, on a decent, prominent site in the same category can not only help with pagerank but also traffic.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for one of my gaming related sites, i sign up to top site listings. it helps bring in a lot of visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lordy - what a thread! I've gone through two cups of tea.

I'll echo the comment from before: "content is king". I have a one webpage "site" which is doing okay with hits/Adsense revenue - and all that has been obtained by SEO alone.

However, having read this thread - and filled an A4 side of paper with all the promotional and marketing strategies mentioned here (!) - I reckon I could increase business quite a bit

Thanks to al concerned. I have nothing to add except to repeat: "content IS king" - and think SEO