SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you support the "Viewable With Any Browser" campaign?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, of course, it's a wonderfull idea!!!

    13 40.63%
  • That's a tough choice, both arguments are very strong...

    8 25.00%
  • No, I don't want to be stuck with HTML4.0!!!

    11 34.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 30 of 30
  1. #26
    SitePoint Wizard westmich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Muskegon, MI
    Posts
    2,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the main points that I got out of that article was that sites designed according to the Web Standards Project are still usable in NS 4, but you don't have to double your development time in creating special work-arounds. Also, you help to encourage users to stop using a browser that was originally released five years ago and continues to hold developers back.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

  2. #27
    You talkin to me? Anarchos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly, I have no sympathy for a user who is too lazy to start a download of a 4.0+ browser, watch tv for an hour, then come back and install it.

  3. #28
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotta say, as a staunch "design for the audience, don't tell them how to see it" advocate, this is a very good middle ground. If you are designing for a client, and they are willing to go this route, then I think it is a very good choice.

    H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  4. #29
    SitePoint Wizard johntabita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Posts
    1,060
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TheOriginalH
    Keep it up johntabita. As long as there are designers with your philosophy around I'm never gonna be short of work
    My "philosophy" covers 97% of the browsers in use. In other words, my sites will look the same to 97% of the users. The other 3% will still be able to use the site, it just may not look exactly the same design-wise.

    Honestly, H, if you think that you are a superior web designer because you concern yourself with 3% of the browsers that I don't, than more power to you!

  5. #30
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,811
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think for a second that I'm a superior designer John, wouldn't have a clue. Most of the people I do business with are second hand (ie have had sites designed previously/already). Almost all of them have had accessibility issues, and have not been kept informed by the designers. Becuase of this, they lose the contracts - simple as that. This is not speculation, but something that I deal with daily, and which keeps me employed

    H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •