SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry I'm back, and frustrated: Web design in Singapore

I don't know if anyone remembers me, and I don't know if this is the right place to post, but please bear with me.

I'm 18, from Singapore, and finally done with high school. I have 3 months before I enlist in the military and I've been thinking of doing web design in these 3 months.

But I don't know where to start. I have the skills, a bit rusty, yes, but I have them, and I've been reading web design blogs (mezzoblue, shaun inman, etc) for quite a long time now. What I lack is something to show for it. I don't have a portfolio that I'm proud of. Yes, I know in this field, experience counts much more than knowing the concepts and technologies. That's exactly why I'm frustrated.

If you search for web design firms in Singapore, there's a lot of firms I know I can outdo. (http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countr...ite_Designers/) Many don't use CSS, pay no attention to usability or have no aesthetic value at all, ignore maintenance issues and THEN charge exhorbitant fees for updates (http://www.design-epic.com/rates.html). And their designs look so last century! If anyone knows of good Singaporean web designers I'd be happy to get to know them.

But at the same time I'm worried if it's all my ego speaking. And I don't know what to do, because I only have 3 months. I could approach companies one by one, but I have no portfolio to show. I could start by creating my own site, or I could (as suggested some time ago in SP) design a site for a non-profit organisation for free.

What should I do? I just wish clients would be more aware about "proper" web design and recognise that they are being heavily shortchanged. I'm really lost now, hope you guys can help.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got the skills but you have nothing to show for them? You're right that you're unlikely to swing anyone on that basis and it could be your ego talking here.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I'm disappointed that you see me that way. I had to take a break from actual web design for school, so my sites are old and not representative of my current ability. But I don't want to make excuses. Do you have any advice or do you just want to repeat what I said? Thanks anyway.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first of all,portfolios are important.if i were to hire a designer to design my site,i would definitely want to see his/her portfolios.talk is cheap.so IMHO,what you should do now is start building your portfolio.at least u will have something to show in case potential clients approach you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boredboi
    Hello, I'm disappointed that you see me that way. I had to take a break from actual web design for school, so my sites are old and not representative of my current ability. But I don't want to make excuses. Do you have any advice or do you just want to repeat what I said? Thanks anyway.
    OK, maybe I was a bit harsh. But your post was too contradictory to make too much sense. Basically you said you didn't know what to do, even though you do know what to do (by implication). Build yourself a website; doesn't have to be flashy; just simple. Even use a blog software and style it. That will give you a presence. Then you can get some simple jobs - in the Trade Your Services part of SPF or on sites like eLance/PO etc. Build a portfolio. Or go right after the big fish. As yuo said, many firms don't know the "real web design" side of things, so you might be able to convince a company to take you on for their website. Be professional and convincing and it could happen. I'm working on a site right now that's paying good money purely by word of mouth - they didn't see any of my sites (probably a good thing ) before they signed on the dotted line.

It sounded like you wanted a lot without being prepared to put the work in. No one is going to hand this to you on a plate. If you want it to happen, get out there and make it happen.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly, unless you planned on taking very small jobs like a 5-page website here and there or maintenance/update work, you probably won't get a lot of work in 3 months. Any halfway dynamic site (or even a big static site) can take quite a few weeks to get through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Build

Build, spend every spare minute designing, take a site that you think is no good and redesign it using the content, do this several times and there is a rough portfolio, if you know coding put some on the pages, database lookups and what not.

If you know flash do some on the pages, you want to show off your skill, do so. If you know just design then I think there are problems, firms these days want the thing finished, not just some psd file passed onto a 3rd person.

If you dont know some basic dynamic coding php/asp then learn some when your in the army.
    Video-Tutes.com
    Web & Graphic design video tutorials
    100% free video tutorials.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You posted links to sites you can outdo, but outdo what exactly? Design? If you could outdo them, then you'd have a company of your own up and running with a huge client list.

These guys run a business, they don't just design. That means a lot more is involved including marketing, which is vital to running of most businesses.

It sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you before you can outdo the existing companies that are making a profit from the web, since you're not.

3 months isn't enough, even if you don't plan to make a living of it. You can't just jump in, with no work to show dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, thanks for all the replies.

I think there might be a misunderstanding. I never said I wanted to run a profitable or even successful web design business, and I certainly did not say I wanted to do it all in 3 months. I have 3 months, and my goals are to gain some work experience, and earn a little money, in that order. The issue is: I can spend 2 months building a small portfolio and the last month actually dealing with a client, but I won't get much experience that way. I was asking if it was possible, of perhaps if there are methods to get some work done in the short term.

Weirdbeard, I don't expect anyone to hand it to me on a platter, I was wondering if there were alternatives since I'm not doing it for the long term. As I mentioned, I could approach companies one by one, but that isn't very ideal, so I thought some of you guys might have ideas.

Vgarcia, I wouldn't mind doing a single project for the whole 3 months. As I said, I'm not trying to set up a successful business or make loads of money.

mstwntd, that's what I've gathered from the replies so far. So if I can't just jump in, should I just find another non-design related part-time job? It wouldn't be as enriching, I guess, but if it's really impossible to find clients in the 3 months, any other job would be a better alternative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boredboi

mstwntd, that's what I've gathered from the replies so far. So if I can't just jump in, should I just find another non-design related part-time job? It wouldn't be as enriching, I guess, but if it's really impossible to find clients in the 3 months, any other job would be a better alternative.
    I wouldn't say it's impossible, just a lot harder without a 'folio. The first site I built was for a client I got through my old man. That client wasn't all that web-savvy but wanted a site as his competitors all had one. He didn't ask to see pervious work or anything, but was satisfied with the outcome.

What I'm saying is, you could always tell your friends and family to spread the word that you do web design. That way you might get one or two clients in 3 months if you're lucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with that egor! My first 'real' project was also through my old man! Generally they dont bother with seeing portfolios as much as they trust you can do what you say!