SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

partition new machine

New box on the way - 2 x 160 Gb HDs, XP Home installed - need to partition so thought about Bootit NG.
    Any opinions/ideas?
    Stick with fdisk to partition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you need to partition?
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there are literally endless possibilities as how to partition such an ammount of space. You should tell us a little more about the use of the machine (e.g. multiple Operating Systems (Windows, Linux, ?), etc)...

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm taking it for granted that it is a good idea to partition such big HDs?

Thought I would partition each HD into 4, to still retain the fdisk capability. Leave XP on one HD, install Linux on the other, having dual boot capabilities.

Was really wondering on the best way to actually do the partitioning - have heard some bad things about Partition Magic & have found Bootit NG as a solid alternative, as well as being cheaper.

Was thinking of:

6Gb - OS - too much space?
    8Gb - Applications, programmes
    60Gb - Music & photos
    remainder - docs

Sound reasonable? Not having needed to partition before am a bit nervous, not wanting to muck things up before I've started!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds reasonable to me...although I would try to focus all stuff that you wanna keep and backup (documents, photos and stuff) - all that isn't replaced easily - on one partition. All other stuff which is replaced easily (programs and the like) on another partition...

So a possible scenario would be:

8 GB OS partition
    x GB "important stuff" partition (depending on your needs)
    x GB programs, testing and the like

On another note: are you sure you need a whole hdd for linux? In my experience a dual-boot-system is used almost all the time with one OS - the other one is really just a testing system or a system to work with very little programs...so IMO the 160GB for linux could be lost space...you can always use a good part of the hdd for storage purposes (e.g. linux = 20-40GB in total, the rest -> storage partition)?!

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ingo.

Yes, I was thinking of the four same partitions on the Linux HD. Four primary HDs - including the small one of 6-8Gb for the Linux installment.

I thought that putting the Linux separately, physically, as there would be less chance of causing problems. Eventually I would like to move away from XP & just use Linux. So yes, it is testing but testing with a definite future.

You think 8Gb is the right size for an XP partition & a Linx partition?

Have you used any tools to partition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8GB is a good size for a system partition...depending on the distribution of linux you want to install it'll suggest partition sizes on it's own (linux is normally install on one partition, then a boot partition (only some MBs) and a swap (temp) partition).

Putting linux on a different hdd isn't a bad idea, that way if something goes wrong there won't be any interference with the primary hdd.

About the partitioning: depending on the project I'm on I use one of the following:

1.) Simple WinXP install: let XP do it
    2.) Simple Linux install: use the linux setup process or the inbuilt partitioning (fdisk)
    3.) Always a possibility: Partition Magic
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd be able to partition with the disk management tool but I hear that is only with installing new HDs. And that XP can partition fine but only when XP is being installed itself. Seems I need an external programme to cope with this. Have heard good things about Bootit NG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a particular reason you want to separate the applications from the OS? I did this once and to be honest I found no real benefit. The data on the other hand I definately keep on separate drives or partitions. If you ever need to reinstall the os then won't you need to reinstall all of the apps?

As far as using separate partitions for different kinds of data and buying another piece of software to handle all this - why not just use folders on one partiion?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks iluminatae - just what I need to hear - putting things in folders instead. I was just assuming that partitioning was good procedure - quicker when defraging....? Any other good reasons for partitioning?

Not sure what you mean by;
    'If you ever need to reinstall the os then won't you need to reinstall all of the apps?'
    If the OS has gone & was in the same partition as the apps, then the apps have gone, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosales
    Thanks iluminatae - just what I need to hear - putting things in folders instead. I was just assuming that partitioning was good procedure - quicker when defraging....? Any other good reasons for partitioning?

Not sure what you mean by;
    'If you ever need to reinstall the os then won't you need to reinstall all of the apps?'
    If the OS has gone & was in the same partition as the apps, then the apps have gone, no?
    Well I don't really know the benefits of partitioning, other than keeping the data away from the operating system and installing another operating system. I currently have 4 drives with a total space of around 550 gigs. My data drives are 250 gig, 180 gig and 120 gig. the os is a 36 gig raptor. The data drives are just organized by folders. I didnt see any real need to have a bunch of partitions on each one to organize by drive letter when the same thing can be done with folders.

IF you have your operating system on one partition and your installed applications on another - if you reinstall the operating system then all the applications you have on the other partition are unusable - I think. The registry has been erased by the new installation. I don't really know if there is a way to fix this. In the end I think if you want a smooth running machine your going to have to reinstall all the apps regardless if they are on a separate partiion or not.

I may be wrong.