SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a laptop, confused by so many variables

Man, there are so many damn options whether you are at Circuit City or Best buy it can make you sick.

I am looking to get my wife a laptop as an early birthday present and I am confused by a few things.

For one, it seems alot of 1.4ghz celeron processors cost nearly as much as some 2.8ghz Penitum 4 processors. Why is that?

Also, I have heard a Pentium 4 in a laptop can possibly cause it to burn up since a pentium 4 is more of a desktop chip. That is why you see some that are Mobile. Is that true?

So basically I have to deal with a lower ghz celeron or a higher ghz but either the Pentium 4, or the Pentium 4 Mobile (maybe its just Pentium Mobile).

So can someone break it down for me? Thanks

Also, it seems the brands my wife and I are dealing with are Toshiba and Compaq. We would like a Dell, but it seems that Toshiba and Compaq pack alot more into theirs for the same price then a dell.

So what are your opinions.

Thanks
    Bryan

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bryan,

While I've build plenty of desktops in my lifetime, notebooks are largely a mystery to me too, but maybe the following buying guides will help you out.

CNET Editor's Notebook Buying Guide
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7602_7-1016082-1.html

Laptops: The Essential Buying Guide
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,3483,00.asp

HTH,

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the P4's would burn the laptops, they woulnd't be used in them. There is the Pentium M, for laptops, I am not sure how the GHz work on those, but I can sure tell you that a 1.5GHz P4 and a 1.5GHz M do not work the same. Also can I recommend Centrino technology, if you use wireless networking home or outside of home. Celeron I do NOT recommend. My friend has one in his desktop, and it is pathetic. It is @ 2.2GHz I think, and runs slower than my 1.5GHz P4. Don't get onboard video either, its also horrible. May I ask what your wife will be using this laptop for, so I can supply some more useful information instead of just explaining weird things
    The ever growing computer community @ modifiedpc.net

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take a lower gHz Pentium M over a higher gHz Celeron anyday. I have a 1.8GHz IBM Thinkpad with Centrino technology and it is plenty fast it even handles games really well. My laptop also has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, which is very nice.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    she will be using it mostly for browsing the internet, word processing, etc... Nothing like giant multimedia projects or running programs like Adobe Photoshop, etc...

I mean, some programs like that might get installed, but nothing HUGE. Its not going to be used for video editing for example.

We will be taking advantage of the built in wireless computer, as I have a router that supports wireless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need much in that case. I would suggest the Pentium M with Centrino technology, at any speeds, 256mb RAM, and at least a 64mb video card. Not much else is needed for any of those tasks, even hardcore photo / video editing will be possible on that laptop.
    The ever growing computer community @ modifiedpc.net