SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot lightwithoutheat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Cannot install/uninstall any programs

Whenever I try to install any programs I get an error on the Microsoft site that says "nVidia Capture Driver" but does not give me any kind of solution. I downloaded the latest drivers for my GeForce 4 graphics card, but CANNOT install them, even in SAFE mode. In fact, no program will install in SAFE mode.

Microsoft says it is probably the Windows Installer, perhaps a corrupt or damaged file, but they gave me no solution. I am totally helpless and am considering a fresh reinstall of WIN XP, but am hesitant because I don't want to have to reinstall every program I have among other things.

Any ideas?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you running Windows XP ? If then run the recovery install function.
    Do not chose the recovery command line option, but to install xp, then chose the recovery option that appears now.

Then you will not need to install the programs you have installed again since it will only change the xp files.

Ive had the "capture driver" error appear before, but Ive always been able to uninstall the nvidia drivers and install new ones though. And that has always solved it for me. So Im not sure what you can try to fix it without either reinstalling or using the recover function. On a second note, have you tried to rollback your system? (works on xp and me) That might work too if its some recent changes that has caused the corruption of the files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding! Unfortunately, my computer did not come with an XP recovery disc. I am out of luck in that department. Next time I'm spending the extra for an Apple. Live and learn, I suppose.

I actually did uninstall the nVidia drivers and perform a reinstall to no avail. Nothing changed. If I do a system restore, what will I lose, if anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope - with system restore you will probably lose any programs installed after the the last restore point. All your data should be safe. But I would make a backup of the it just to be extra safe.

There is a repair function on the xp install disk, rather than reinstalling XP you could try to repair first.
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As iluminatae says, the the function lies on the xp install disk. I guess the right word for it in english is repair as he says and not recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny, 'cause my computer came with what it calls a 'recovery disk'. But it has only about 10 files on it that I have no idea what they are. Should I list the files and let you guys pick through them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwithoutheat
    That's funny, 'cause my computer came with what it calls a 'recovery disk'. But it has only about 10 files on it that I have no idea what they are. Should I list the files and let you guys pick through them?
    hmm...is this a oem disc? Meaning it came with a computer purchase and has a bunch of stuff from the pc maker on it? I have never used one of those but you might try to see if it's bootable (you might need to change the bios setting to boot from cd) . If it is bootable then you can try to repair the xp installation from this disc if it allows you to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's OEM. How would I change my BIOS settings? Should I just insert the disk and reboot while it's in the drive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes - to start with just insert the disc and reboot. If your bios is set to boot from disc and the disc is set up as a bootable disc then it will work. IF not then your going to have to set the bios. Basically - there is a key you need to press and it varies from pc to pc. On mine its the delete key, on others it might be the F3 key or something. The bios is the guts of the machine - basically it controls everything hardware related.

You might need to change the bios settings to boot from cd first because the drive with the os might be booting first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...bummer. I tried the disk and in order to restore anything, it says ALL data will be lost. I'm not willing to go through that at this point. I am enraged that Microsoft will not help. Of course, finding anything on their site is impossible.

I might just have to live with it until I decide to just give in and reinstall WIN XP. But, mark my words, this will be the last Microsoft product I buy. Apple, here I come...