User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Starting a site-Can you help?

Hello,
    I would like to establish a forum/interactive site, focusing on personal growth, life-skills and non-dogmatic spirituality. I wish to be able to edit readersí comments and essays and use the threads for future ebook and printed material. Is it a viable Ďbusinessí idea, to cover expenses and my time?
    Iím looking for a ready-package web-site which is user-friendly for a novice reader/writer and for the administrator. My objective is to have up to 30 active threads at a time with up to 20 pages in each thread prior to locking it.
    Regarding ready-packages offered by CityMax.com and other such companies (25$ to $200 per month)--do they provide good usability and some minimum flexibility? Can a novice administrator, like myself, handle such a site? better options ? Thanks for your help. michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know which forum set up would be best for you but I'm having a problem with how you will be using the participants in the project. It seems like there would be serious privacy issues. I'm assuming there would be a big disclaimer/notice about your intentions up front. And that everyone participating in such a forum would sign an agreement that their material can be used for your own personal purposes? Personally, if I saw a set-up like that, I'd head for the exit FAST!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting a site-can you help?

to earther, Thanks for your response. Iím not sure I understand why there might be "serious privacy issues". people will share life experiences (in generic terms or more specific way if they will wish) and life observations and their lessons, as a part of an open discussion. I saw in this site very active involvement of members, regarding a thread about someone's dilemma regarding developing/adapting a new system, which is going to cause 11 other employees to be fired. so something like that with more focus on life-skills etc. You wrote " material can be used for your own purposes" the writers which will be included in future books will get some kind of royalty. And when you write in this site or write a letter to a news paper you don't support "their own purposes"? the idea is that everybody will benefit from that. michael
    Last edited by michaelhar; Jan 14, 2005 at 14:24. Reason: spelling

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an MSN Group that was just for help with personal relationships,, we have/had over 3000 members and it worked out fine... I stated in another thread that the best way to get up and going, and still be able to learn how to make things yourself is to get a template that you like, and a good helpful host.. Thats what I did... now I'm getting into flash and CSS styles so it was a good thing for me..

I also added a forum by "Invision",, there the best in my view because of what you can do with them and the support from invision,, they've been real helpful.. If you need links or more help just go to my web site and contact me there or leave another message here

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Tutleman49, thanks for your informative response. I emailed you at rsigrowers.com.
    your rsigrowers site, seems to me, very appealing and friendly-user. michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might want to look at www.opensourcecms.com
    here you can find multiple systems that can handle what you ask for and above all are OPENSOURCE... i.e. FREE!
    good luck!
    Better known as ipears

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody, Yes, www.opensourcecms.com is another great site. Thanks sbdquinten, it seems i'm ready for the next step. michael