User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Displaying fields from Mysql using php

Don't laugh at my novice inexperience.

I have never built a database. I am now running a Draft site for a sitting Democratic Governor and potential 08 presidential contender. I need the
    site to do more than provide info.

My server has Mysql & Php support. I need to create a database for
    site visitors to leave contact information. That information will be stored and turned over to the potential presidential cansidate.

The site also needs an online petition where visitors can add their name. The diplay window needs to be a scrolling window with mutli-line capabilities. It should display all the names and cities of people who signed the petition with a hide field for anyone that does not want their name displayed. Preferably, the name of the last person to sign the petition will appear at the top of the list along with the city, state and date.

As I understand it, the php talks to the database and recalls whatever information you want displayed into a field. Some people said all I need is a really good guestbook. I looked through 391 and was not satisfied that what I looked at was actually what I needed.

Ideally, I would like to find a supporting Democrat willing to help with this pro-bono as I am footing all expenses myself personally. I'm afraid by the time I learn all this from scratch, I will cause some people to loose interest.

If someone is interested in volunteering, that would be idea. If not, perhaps somebody here can tell me where to start. I created a basic Mysql table (my first) but then got into how to make the php recall data back into a display window. I am over my head deep! The candidate is Virginia Governor Mark Warner. If you hate him, please don't advise. If you like him, boy I could use a willing hand. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not care about your politics.
    I also do not see why I shouldn't advise you on your technical questions, even if I "hated" your chosen candidate.

You know not the first thing aout either PHP or MySQL, so where should we start to help you? You want to know where to start?

a) decide if you are willing to spend the time and effort needed to learn php, mysql and apache to get your idea up and running.

b) Ask someone who has made a career of making websites to look at your concept. Perhaps no one is likely to visit your site?

c) Reconsider your funding. If you are paying for it, it is probably only of interest to you. Otherwise, get someone else to pay for it.

And here is a last piece of free advice. Let's say 20.000 people actually sign your petition. And you have already insisted on a user interface which displays all of those names in a "scrolling window". Exactly how long do you think it will take to load such a large amount of data on a 56K modem?

You really have no clue, and yet you have a lot of precise requirements. Please get clued up before constraining yourself and others with nonsense specifications, or ask someone who knows how to do it to do it for you.

HTH

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    asterix, that's no way to greet a new member

your points may be valid, but gosh, did you have to be so rude?
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rude?

Apologies if I was rude to you erat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an extremely easy project to start learning PHP/MYSQL website development. If you are really serious about wanting to do this project, I suggest you buy Kevin Yanks' book on building a PHP/Mysql website (http://www.sitepoint.com/books/phpmysql1/)
    and read up on it. This is a fantastic guide to get your started. You should literally be able to put together a simple version of what you are wanting on a matter of days (if not hours). Then you can spend the next few weeks tweaking and modifying your site until it's fully functional... all for $39.95

Once you've started on this, come back to the forum with specific questions you have if/when you run into snags. That will probably get you a lot better response than "Who's willing to do a ton of free work for a complete stranger?" =)

Good luck!
    --Viral
    A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.