SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it interesting that Microsoft made "Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2005 (KB890830)" a high priority update in Windows Update for WinXP and as such it is one of the standard install items for those WinXP users with Automatic Updates turned on.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After seeing very few negative reports of Microsoft AntiSpyware, I went ahead and downloaded it. It's pretty impressive, altough the interface (like the rest of Microsoft Windows XP) is a bit too candy-coated for my tastes. Then again, so is Lavasoft AdAware's.

AntiSpyware lets me schedule a daily scan, which is handy, and remains hidden as it scans, which is convenient. I can't yet vouch for its effectiveness, as three scans have detected nothing other than a false positive for TightVNC. Perhaps I'll run Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware for comparison.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sticking with SpyBot until this has some time out on the market.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am an avid Firefox user so my machines rarely if ever have any type of malware on them. My inlaws however are a different story. About once every 4-6 weeks I have to go through and clean out their systems. They are running spybot and adaware but they still end up infected.

I installed the MS offering on each of their boxes almost 3 weeks ago now. I turned off adaware andspybot. Not a single infection in 19 days. That's pretty stout. This even cleaned a CWS hijacker that I couln't seem to root out. Try this product for a week, you won't go back to the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it considers new.net plugin as one of the most dangerous spywares.. (heard so).
    new.net is selling subdomains of new.net like find.jobs.new.net and it requires plugin to resolve when typed as find.jobs into browser.
    Dont confuse those fake tlds with most true new extensions us, biz, info, cn.
    Last edited by realestate; Jan 27, 2005 at 01:58.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanf
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

Has anyone else tried this yet (out today)? Seems very good so far

Sean
    It's excellent. Typically I run Adaware then Spybot, after updating each. Usually each finds items, legitimate threats, the others missed. The MS product found items both missed.