SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Buy Predicement

Ok, so last night my father and I celebrated our birthday's, mine isn't until the 10th.

One thing I asked for was a Maxtor 120 gig One Touch External HD (for backup purposes).

I believe its valued around $190.

Well, I have had thoughts of taking it back and getting something else, problem is, I am not sure.

Reason why I might take it back is because I got my crappy BusLink 80 gig working again after a new format.

So I am on a fence, do I keep the Maxtor (which is suppose to be VERY reliable) and do something with the Buslink, or do I scrap the Maxtor and go and get a Sony Internal or external 16x DVD/RW +- / CD/CDRW burner able to burn 8 gig dvd's, and can burn them in 8 minutes.

Thing is, I have a DVD burner, but it only burns DVD +R's, not -(minus) R's. And it only does it at 4 x tops.

So I keep my Buslink and get the DVD burner, or I keep the Maxtor.

Thoughts?

If you have any other item ideas to get instead, throw them my way.

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you already have a dvd burner, and you already have a harddrive...why not take back the one-touch harddrive and get something else, besides a dvd player. If you have lots of valuable information on your computer, I suggest buying another 80 gigger and setting up a RAID 0 to backup all your info. Just my 2 cents though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, just for your info, I have about 490 gigs internally

but the kicker is that the current 80 gig I have (the Buslink), it gave me issues recently where I had to use a program to retrive all my info. Once I did that, I had to reformat it, so the question becomes if its going to bonk out on me again.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311

You could store google on that thing!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311

but the kicker is that the current 80 gig I have (the Buslink), it gave me issues recently where I had to use a program to retrive all my info. Once I did that, I had to reformat it, so the question becomes if its going to bonk out on me again.
    Don't screw around with a drive that is going bad. I'd keep the new drive and replace out the drive that is starting to go bad.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    Don't screw around with a drive that is going bad. I'd keep the new drive and replace out the drive that is starting to go bad.
    agreed - besides , hard drives are more reliable than optical discs....I lost a total of 15 cd's worth of my photos because they went bad. I always reburn stuff every two years now and keep extras on hard drives just in case. I seriously doubt DVD's are any more reliable for achive purposes unless you get uber quality dvd's....I haven't made the leap to dvd yet because of this.

PS - isn't having mega storage great I got's me 550 gig...only problem is keeping stuff organized... Whenever a drive gets full I organize it, pull it out of my machine, put it in it's orginal box - put a hardcopy directory list in and store it in a closet.
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie

You could store google on that thing!
    Maybe if you add 3 or 4 zeros on the end. Google has over 20,000 servers.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My CD's have lasted for years. Never lost a one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I do some digital video stuff (family tapes, etc...) so I more or less make dvd's from time to time. I NEVER use a dvd for storage. Only in rare occurances.

What sucks is I can't make DVD - R which is more compitable across the board then DVD + R, simply because - R has been out longer.

I originally had a 240 gig harddrive that came with my Dell (2 raid 0 120 gigs).

Then 2 weeks ago, I got a 250 gig internal, hence 490

thanks for the comments everyone

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backup Solutions

I do a lot of work at home and in an office, personally the greatest thing I ever did after upgrading my master and slave drive on a Windows XP system was put my old 80gb hard drive in a USB drive kit. Any Xp computer recognizes it as a local drive. I put video files, etc. on it and just plug it in at work and the stuff is there. Also, i backup my stuff on my master hd, slave hd, and usb hd. The other advantage is, at work we are on 100mbs connection and at home I am on 56kbs dialup. So if I want to download a bunch of large files that are several hundred mbs, like windows xp sp2, or nero updates, i will do them from work in minutes, and just transfer them to my desktop at home in minutes when i get there