User Tag List

Thread: Gobsmacked

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since a heading of this forum refers to preparing for the future, I was amazed at this site today. Have a look if you're A netscape user (or if you have it)

H

www.thirtytwo.net
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brave buggers - I been wanting to do that for ages !!!

It don't like IE6 either - just get a grey square in the middle of THAT box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA! That is funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you mean that it can't connect using Netscape?

<!-- edit -->
    Never mind. I couldn't connect using Netscape because I had too many windows open.

I see it now. Dam smart of them. They still have to contend with IE 4, 5, 5.5 and 6 as well as Opera.
    <!-- edit -->
    Last edited by creole; May 1, 2001 at 11:39.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

In a big, big house, with lotsa lotsa room
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny, the only way I CAN view the site is to use Netscape. Using IE, it crashes my Mac (must be the Applet).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works fine for me using IE5.5 and Opera 5.10. But then I've got Sun's Java 2 SDK installed. If you want you could install Sun's Java Plugin, this is what Netscape ships with N6.

Still, not very user friendly.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What complete retard designed and authored that site?

1) The site is perfectly viewable on Mozilla 8.0.1 on Mac. However, it's not likely that Mozilla users are going to know since they will most likely leave after being insulted on the first page. I will not do business with a company who demonstrates such comtempt for a member of the general public or a potential client!

2) Did I miss a java applet on the home page because I got served the insult home page instead? Great! I avoided downloading another completely worthless bit of bandwidth and processor hogging gumpf. That's some compensation for the insult.

3) I started clicking through the navigation links looking at the source code. I wanted to know what mind bending dynamic HTML I was missing out on - what increadable use of layers and javascript such an enlightened guru as the one who developed the site had managed to concoct. Well? I didn't see anything. Just a link to a CSS. So that's it is it, that's the big deal, Mr/Ms CuttingEdge threw a tantrum because Mozilla didn't handle his/her stylesheet the way they wanted to.

4) How damned complicated is it to create a site that consists of a column of navigation links and another column of text? That's the general architecture of the site - I believe HTML was written to handle this task?

5) I don't like these peoples attitude and would avoid doing business with them because they are, IMHO, no better than pimps. Good luck to them that they are trying to make a buck off the internet - arn't we all? However, I don't have any respect for those who don't have the moral courage to respect (or who cannot philosphically grok) that the reason the internet exists in the first place is because people cooperated towards developing open and free standards and protocols. Microsoft never have and never will be a part of the philosophy that created the internet. Microsoft have and will continue to behave as any dominant firm does in its industry (according to any sensible microeconomic analysis); that is, to limit competition, limit the number of competing entities and maximise monopolistic oportunity. Sure Microsoft is a highly successful company that markets a very usable OS (one that will always dominate the desktop PC market IMHO) - but they have never invented anything - not even DOS!. This is the complete antithesis of the thinking that created the internet. I'm sure that the particular business to whom this web site belongs has no problem using all the open protocols and programs that are required to run a hosting business. If they wanted to do something to improve the state of the browsers they could get off their arses, stop their whining and join in the open source community and the Mozilla project to create a better internet for all.
    Last edited by freakysid; May 8, 2001 at 04:52.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid

3) I started clicking through the navigation links looking at the source code. I wanted to know what mind bending dynamic HTML I was missing out on - what increadable use of layers and javascript such an enlightened guru as the one who developed the site had managed to concoct. Well? I didn't see anything. Just a link to a CSS. So that's it is it, that's the big deal, Mr/Ms CuttingEdge threw a tantrum because Mozilla didn't handle his/her stylesheet the way they wanted to.

yeah thats what i was thinking. his site isn't all that complicated, so he should not have any trouble getting it to work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [netscape] ... we are no longer able to support it
    I can only imagine the troubles they might have had in the past, spending thousands of dollars trying to get their website to work on netscape </sarcasm>

Apart from the warning, on netscape 4.7 and 6 their site looks beautiful. I rather like it without the cheesy rippling effect the one java applet creates. I'm sure they could fix up the tables on their order form too.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They must have some browser stats, should we try and push the netscape ratio up a little

I would assume that a good proportion of sitepointers have at least one version of netscape

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL

I don't have netscape installed on my system (clashes with something and I'm not sure what!!) but I looked at the source code to see where netscape users are directed to and typed that directory into address bar.

Good grief, I know a lot of us have a whinge and a moan about how NN doesn't support all the standards laid down by W3C, but at least we do our best to make our sites work in it! What planet does this guy/girl think he's/she's on??!! (was tempted to just type 'guy' and 'he' there, but thought I'd best not! )

My husband has netscape installed on his laptop. I've got a good mind to log in from there and fill in their contact form!!!!
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!