SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rebuy an iPod if this comes true

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...16145940.shtml

Rumors of Apple and Sirius teaming up to offer an iPod with satellite radio built in. I would definitely rebuy a new ipod with this feature, even if I had to pay the $10 fee for the radio. I always thought that was one of the iPod's downfalls, since I don't have a car to listen to the radio and I hate trying to find music on MTV. It would be a nice way to find new music without having to search for it online or on the iTunes store.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What good is the radio when you have (better) MP3s on the iPod?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    Like I said above. Sometimes you want to listen to new music that you don't have on your iPod that you can download later. Also satellite radio is very clean and MP3's aren't really "better".

Also when I'm commuting on the train in the mornings it might be nice to listen to NPR or other talk radio instead of blasting Fear Factory all day.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fear Factory
    Nothing wrong with a little Digimortal.
    The only function of business is to create customer value and to innovate. - Peter Drucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No more Podcasting then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Young Twig
    Howard Stern. If the Sirius deal actually happens it will probably sell lots of iPods in NYC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get MP3 players with FM radios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    Also when I'm commuting on the train in the mornings it might be nice to listen to NPR or other talk radio instead of blasting Fear Factory all day.
    I bet that NPR would be a big winner for a lot of people.

And yeah, sometimes my MP3s don't cut it. There are a number of genres where I have no intention of building a collection... latin, classic rock, 80s... but I like to listen to these things sometimes: enter radio.

FM radio? Baxter! Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow .... (in case you don't get this ad in your market, I will assure you that the 40th time you hear it in a given day you are really tired of it)
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The possibility of getting directions from the Sirrus sounds neat too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Radio of any kind is pretty low on my list of things to subscribe to. Especially since there's Internet radio (which can be ripped and transferred to mp3 players).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMichaels
    You can get MP3 players with FM radios.
    FM Radio and satellite radio are quite different. FM is really horrible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so great about satellite radio that I can't get from my own mp3's and Internet radio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is to work at a retailer of iPod's and then just replace it when a new model comes out

Let's just say when we had some new 6600 GT cards come in, 3 members of staff suddenly had graphic card failures on cards they had previously bought
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so great about satellite radio that I can't get from my own mp3's and Internet radio?
    Immediate access to songs that you have not previously heard from a broad spectrum of genres without having to plan for it.

I suppose I could prep my mp3 player with ripped streams from however many genres, and work out a system where I'd delete the streams I've heard and load new ones every time I got home... but that's begining to sound like more than $10/month in effort. Also, satellite covers siuations that I would not plan for like that rare situation when I want to hear salsa.

And, as noted, you get timely broadcasts such as sports and npr with signals that don't die when I'm crossing through the radio nowhere land that exists between Atlanta and Greenville SC. If they would just move Greenville a little South and West everything would be just fine, but OHHHH NO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be intreasting. Most of the time I like to select my songs. The skip button is god.

I dunno, I think it's also a mostly US thing as well?

I like the idea of good new music
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you still can't select exactly what you want to hear. It's still radio, so you have to listen to whatever the DJ/programmer plays. Besides, don't some stations have ads?

If satellite radio was a service where you could select specific songs you wanted to listen to, then that'd be cool. Maybe even worth subscribing to.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for one, you can drive across the country and listen to the same station the entire way with quality better than your MP3s and not having to worry about buffering issues with Internet Radio (which I doubt is available in most vehicles).

XM has already gone truly portable. They have Elton John starring in the commercials that have been playing.

http://news.com.com/Photo+XMs+portab...3-5429202.html

Apple probably needs this as much as Sirius. Apple to keep market share and Sirius to try and gain it. Interesting that Apple would team with the underdog that has more trouble getting content though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you still can't select exactly what you want to hear. It's still radio, so you have to listen to whatever the DJ/programmer plays. Besides, don't some stations have ads?
    Don't know about Sirius but with XM, there are over 100 channels (accessible anywhere in the country) without any ads. Plus there is more to radio then just listening to songs.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Well for one, you can drive across the country and listen to the same station the entire way with quality better than your MP3s and not having to worry about buffering issues with Internet Radio (which I doubt is available in most vehicles).
    Better quality than MP3's? 256kbs is CD quality (I rip at 128kbs - don't hear any difference).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Don't know about Sirius but with XM, there are over 100 channels (accessible anywhere in the country) without any ads. Plus there is more to radio then just listening to songs.
    Yeah, any time I drive cross-country it's almost enough to make me want to subscribe to satellite radio. Most of the time all you can get is a country station and a Jesus station. When you can find a decent station, it's filled with commercials and repeats.

What'd be truly great would be "music on demand" where you could request any audio book/album/song/show/etc. anytime.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O. M. G. That would be amazing. I would love to get my hands on one of those. Too bad it's not XM- if Apple could score a deal with XM it would be rather ace, as I like XM better. But perhaps this would be enough to swing a whole heck of a lot of people over to Sirius's side.