Thread: Goa

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goa

Hi all,

Have any of you ever been to Goa before? Or even anywhere in India? I'm set to go there in just under a month for a fortnight's holiday and wanted to hear people's opinions on the place and places worth going to/things to watch out for.

We'll be staying in the Don Jao Resort.

Any input will be much appreciated

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favourite places on the planet. When are you considering going? I have a lot of friends out there at the moment...would be there myself if I didn't have to get into Oz by tomorrow.

Anjuna is a lovely beach, and pretty well situated for the Wednesday "Flea Market" which is a must see. Make sure you also get to Palolem (will cost about a tenner return by taxi, which will drop off and pick up a couple of days later and can be shared) and also Aranbul to the north of you.

Places to go:

MAYONNAS. Near Baga creek bridge...Sunday nights...make sure you go, and mention that ya know Hardy, you'll be looked after. The guy that runs it is known as "Dr Allan"...a sixties throwback still living the dream. There is a plethora of local and foreign musical talent in the area that will give you a night to remember. Get down there about 9ish.

Watch out for an Aussie guy named Prana Das. Something of a local legend he is also an excellent performer. If you do bump into him, say hello from me.

Also make sure you get down to "Ingo's Saturday Night Bizarre". A bohemian market and performance that will certainly stick in your memory.

Goa is not like a lot of the rest of India, but it is a very worthwhile place and it's pretty impossible not to have a good time

If you want a "standard" nightclub, check out either Mambo's in Calangute or "The nightclub in the sky" ...which is complete with swimming pool. If you are a little more alternative (or just plain drunk)....see if you can find "Simba's" (it's a local secret ) or Paradiso and Nine Bar.....

If you're going on your own, PM me and I'll give you contact details of some great people who'll look after ya
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will just love it! As originalH has already posted list I wont do it again

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys It's good to hear that it's a nice place.

I'm actually going with family so we have a hotel sorted and everything.

I'll run the suggestions past the 'rents

Again thanks for your help!

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 'rents are children of the sixties they'll love Ingos and Mayonass..would avoid Simbas though...it doesn't open till 4am
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS