SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

user authentication with 2 levels of access

looking for some advice. a client of ours wants a u/p protected area of their site for technical documents. users would have to register and would be granted access after the process. however they also want a second level of access which they would have to approve for software downloads. i've written a login script in the past but not one with these 2 levels of access. i was wondering what others thought of tackling this issue. my thoughts were that i would add a column in the db for software access and set the default to be denied. then the client would receive an email and have to activate that level of access. am i barking up the right tree? is there a known script that already does what I need?

thanks in advance.
    Tunnel 7 | Standards Based Website Design
    http://www.tunnel7.com

Follow me: http://www.twitter.com/derekallard

Umm. PHP Guru....Naaaah jaswinder_rana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you can do is user permissions?
    you can have different permissions. when user registers you only give them permission to see documents, then you send them another email or something and when they click that link then you give them permission to download the softwares to. so it would be something like user|role|permission system. this is what i am using right now. you only login once and depending on their permissions you initilize some session variables and for restricted page you check if a particular user has that permission. if NOT then ask them if they want to or not. if they want then as i mentioned you can send a link or can have them accept some terms and then just update their permissions.

let me know if you want more information about this system.