SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can't LOGIN to some websites -- IE and/or Firefox

Hi there,

Would anyone know why I can or cannot login to some websites?

I cannot login to some on Firefox, but they DO work on IE. And conversely, those that do NOT work in IE work in Firefox.

Strange. I frequent iWon.com a lot. Luckily, they have a default "Your computer will not allow you to login" page. It says this:

The browser you're using is not allowing you to sign in to iWon.

Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript.

NOTE: You will also receive this error if you computer system time is off by more than a few hours, or is set to an incorrect day or year. To check your system time on your computer, please double-click the date and time in the bottom right of your screen, and confirm it is set correctly.

How do I change my browser settings?
    This depends on the browser you're using. If you are getting a message asking if you want to accept cookies, choose Yes. Otherwise, we recommend that you click the "Help" button at the top of your browser in order to learn how to properly accept cookies and javascript. (You'll most likely be able to enable these settings by locating the Security and/or Privacy tabs found within "Internet Options" in your browser's "Tools" pull-down window.)

Tip: If you are using the same browser that came installed on your computer when you bought it - and if you've owned your computer for a couple of years - we recommend that you download the latest version. Internet Explorer users, click here. Netscape users, click here.
    Tried everything and still can't sign in? It could be due to one of these issues:

• Your computer's clock may be set ahead 10 years or more. Your clock may be showing the correct time of day, but is it set to the right year? Believe it or not, this has prevented some iWon users from being able to sign in.

• Your computer's hard drive (C:, most likely) has low disk space. If your computer's operating system uses Windows, and if your hard drive is nearly full, this may prevent you from being able to sign in to your account. You may want to delete some old files or move a number of your files to another drive on your computer.

• Your computer/computer's network is using security software or a firewall that prevents you from signing in. Some security software and firewalls use settings that make it impossible to sign in to an iWon email account. These settings can be changed, so please check with your network administrator or call the security software maker if you believe this may be true in your case.

Running Windows XP, Home ... SP2

Double checked my clock and calendar -- GOOD
    Checked that all cookies are accepted -- GOOD
    Checked that JavaScript ON in Firefox -- GOOD
    Reset all IE browser settings to default -- GOOD
    Deleted over 1 GB of data from C drive -- GOOD
    Turned off firewalls thru cable LAN/WAN -- GOOD

I also got rid of the cache, history and stored cookies.

I don't get it. Any ideas? Has this ever happened to anyone? Are there any duplicate areas that handle cache, settings, etc that are often overlooked?

Thanks!
    Instant Internet Hosting
    FREE DOMAIN, FREE SETUP!
    $4.99/mo - FTP, phpMyAdmin, POP3, Mailing List;
    MySQL, PHP, Perl, SSI, SSL, 1200mb, 30GB xfer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok... i got it fixed and here's how in case anyone comes across the same issue:

1. Step by step, I followed a generic "double check your browser settings" checklist I found on a university site.

2. That particular FAQ page also suggested spyware checks. So at their recommendation, I also installed the freeware "Spybot S&D"; and that did find lots of garbage, ad & spy stuff.

3. While on this roll, I decided to part ways with silly toolbars. Then I went through and hand-plucked out all those residual registry keys belonging to long-deleted programs & garbage overlooked by Norton and other scanning methods. (Start > Run > RegEdit).

That fixed my IE login issues (& worked wonders in boosting system speed ). But Firefox was still not allowing all site access.

4. So finally, I had to uninstall Firefox completely. Then a fresh install.
    (Iinluding all the extraneous files not deleted by the uninstall... don't forget your registry keys and application data).
    (C:\Documents and Settings\Your Account\Application Data\Mozilla [or other folder firefox may be under.])

And after all that time... it worked. Good luck to any lost surfing soul who finds this in the future and needs the info.

PS. If you're not sure, first make a backup of your registry or make a system restore point before making any registry changes. And only delete stuff you know is not needed.
    Instant Internet Hosting
    FREE DOMAIN, FREE SETUP!
    $4.99/mo - FTP, phpMyAdmin, POP3, Mailing List;
    MySQL, PHP, Perl, SSI, SSL, 1200mb, 30GB xfer!