User Tag List

Thread: Code Clean Up

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Code Clean Up

I have no experience dealing with programing whatsoever and I am paying to have a website created for me. I'm not soliciting for your business I just wanted to understand how a designer may feel about what I plan to do.

Once my initial designer is done I want to have two or three other designers look at it to get their feedback and ideas about how some processes can be streamlined.

This leads me to two questions.

1) Would you, as a coder, want to look through and possibly clean up someone else code? Payment would be involved for review and the work.

2) If you were the initial designer would you take offense to a client doing this with a product of yours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackfella
    1) Would you, as a coder, want to look through and possibly clean up someone else code? Payment would be involved for review and the work.
    Generally yes. It certainly depends on the context (size of code/project, kind of compensation, .....).

2) If you were the initial designer would you take offense to a client doing this with a product of yours?
    To be honest? Yeah, I think at least a little bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    To be honest? Yeah, I think at least a little bit.
    Would that prevent you from working with that client in the future?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would that prevent you from working with that client in the future?
    I cant say that in general. It depends on the overall relationship with the client, my mood , the project itself, his/her reason for doing that, the other developer's conclusion , ......

It could be that I might feel put down a bit but I think everyone is feeling that way when he/she or his/her work is questioned. Dont you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally for me i would be a little annoyed if a client wouldnt take my work to be sufficient for any project that they hired me for.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drzoid
    I cant say that in general. It depends on the overall relationship with the client, my mood , the project itself, his/her reason for doing that, the other developer's conclusion , ......

It could be that I might feel put down a bit but I think everyone is feeling that way when he/she or his/her work is questioned. Dont you think?
    I'm not sure.

I want the best product available in the final analysis.

I chose this designer because he offered the best proposal and package for the project I had in mind.

I wasn't exactly sure where to go to find designers that could do the project the way I wanted it done.

The functionality of my site will include elements from a variety of different sites and no one designer had sites in their portfolio that represented all of the elements that I was looking for.

Not that my project will be one, but Open Source projects benefit from having "fresh" eyes look at the coding and making suggestion. Being that I am paying for the development would it be unrealistic for me as a client to want to have fresh eyes to look at project?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the project it's self and the time frame given in my view

Some projects are known to be rushed through using dirty methods (ie mixing PHP with markup) just to get finished on time, either because the time frame wasn't realistic enough, or the developer(s) wasted valuable development time.

As for me personally, I would be offended if I have done regular work for the client in the past. But if I didn't know the client all that well, I wouldn't be offended, putting it down to a difference of personalities or something like that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you who gave me feedback.