SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Abs Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abs Question

For any of you exercise people, I have a question.

I recently heard that to "trim" / "flatten" your stomach and mid section, then you should do FULL SITUPS, whereas, if you want to bulk up the area with muscle, focus on "crunches"

Is this true? Anyone have any experience with this.

I am not overweight , I am 6 ft and about 180 pounds, but I haven't exercised for a long time and I am getting the "belly" However, I have always had this "pouch" underneath my bellybutton that never goes away, and I know it can. So I was thinking of trying the situps thing verus crunches. Crunches are what I have always done in the past.

Anyways, thoughts?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rubbish. "Full sit-ups" do little to work the lower abs and put far too much stress on your lower back. The "belly" can only be gotten rid of by proper diet and decent fat burning excercise (take your age away from 220, divide by 100 and multiply by 65 and your have your ideal "fat burning" heart rate).

To "tone" the abs, a variety of excercises should be employed. Crunches are good for the midsection, combine them with oblique crunches (reach your left hand to right foot and vice versa) and leg raises (lower abs). I also tend to to small crunches with legs raised to isolate lower abs.

Remember to counter all of this with back strengthening excercises. Either get on all fours and lower and raise your midsection or (some frown on this), lie flat on your front, arms running flat down your body and use your lower back to raise your chest.

G'luck
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all 4's huh what are you trying to say Original j/k

Hmm, lets see, 220 - 24 (on jan 10 ) = 196. 196 / 100 = 1.96

1.96 x 65 = 127.4

How is 127.4 in comparisons to the avg?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That figure will be the same for all 24 yo's, what will differ is the level of excercise required to reach that level. For severely overweight people, a slow walk may take them to that level. A super fit person may have to sprint. For most people a light jog/steady cycle will have them in that zone

Just 10 to 20 minutes a day at that level will start getting rid of the gut. Ideally you should look for about 45. I'm no physiology expert but afaik training outside of this level (over 65%) has little/no further benefit for the objective of getting rid of fat. For the martial artists among you, peak fighting performance should have you at around 85% .....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    Hmm, lets see, 220 - 24 (on jan 10 ) = 196. 196 / 100 = 1.96

1.96 x 65 = 127.4

How is 127.4 in comparisons to the avg?
    The method I use is a little simpler and will turn about the same result, which is find your maximum heart rate (220 - Age = Maximum Heart Rate) and then work out around the target area (which is usually 60-80% of your Maximum Heart Rate).

So for you, 220 - 24 = 196 bpm. Your maximum heart rate is 196 beats per minute (you never want to be above this as you will begin burning muscle instead of fat). Then figure out your target range, which is 196 x .6 = 117.6 on the 60% low end and 196 x .8 = 156.8 on the 80% high end.

When you are working out, if you keep your Heart Rate somewhere between 117.6 and 156.8 bpm, you will burn the most fat. You can either: periodically check your Heart Rate as you work out by checking a clock, counting your heart beats for 15 seconds and multiplying it by 4 or purchase a Heart Rate monitor that you wear while you work out to constantly track it.

As for what will magically get rid of that bit of a gut ... that's a mystery that every guy (and maybe girl) would like to know. A healthy diet along with working out is key, especially as you get older. At my age, if I have a Big Mac value meal at McDonald's and then work out at the gym, the only fat I'm probably burning is the meal I ate. That means I'm not losing any fat, just maintaining it. So the real math is, to LOSE fat, burn more fat than you take in. Even though crunches and other excersizes to work your stomach muscles are good to do, they are for ab strengthening, not fat burning.

As a guy who works out 2-3 days a week for an hour, I wish you luck!
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key is definitely consistancy. I recently did about 2 months of 6 hours a day....lost a little fat, but didn't turn me into Van Damme! I was in much better shape when I was doing 2-3 hrs 4-5 days a week all the time.

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH
    The key is definitely consistancy. I recently did about 2 months of 6 hours a day....lost a little fat, but didn't turn me into Van Damme! I was in much better shape when I was doing 2-3 hrs 4-5 days a week all the time.
    The key to success is consistency and moderation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geniusgoalie
    The key to success is consistency and moderation.
    Not if you want to be a successful alcoholic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are getting a belly, I'd suggest doing exercises that will burn some fat first before doing any sit-ups. Running is a good option, but practicing sports is a better option. Almost any sport is good, but playing basketball, soccer or tennis are the best for this in my opinion.

As already mentioned above, the key is consistency. If you do this at least 3-4 days a week for 3-4 months, you should see some results.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First and foremost, the time of the day that you work out is very important. You should work out in the morning because it will get your metabolism working faster and it will remain fast throughout the day. Burning fat doesn't only happen during the workout, unless you're doing it wrong

Secondly, avoid jumping jacks. There is no physical activity which comes remotely close to it, so you'll be wasting your time. Jumping jacks also hurt your coordination, some people have even resulted in walking differently (right leg and right arm forward at the same time and vise versa.) Jumping jacks are just as big of a no-no as full sit-ups (small crunches are good though.)

Avoid mayonnaise (sp?), butter, and other oily sauces. Use relish, ketchup, and whatever else that's healthy. And on that note, avoid fatty foods. However, do not go "inhaling" the so-called fat-free foods because they are typically high in calories. Read the labels on the back of the containers, not the front.

Build muscle. For every pound of muscle you add to your body you burn so many calories per day extra (I can't remember the number, I think I mentioned it in a previous topic about fitness though) because your body has to supply energy to your muscles. Fat is a form of reserved energy, so if you can build muscle then your body will start burning the fat to give energy to your muscles. Thus, you should do more than crunches if you want to lose that extra weight around the tummy. Aerobics is also good to do, but it's practically a waste of time if you do not build muscle because it doesn't bring long-term results.

Working out can become very boring, so consider working-out with methods that typically aren't mentioned in fitness books. For example, think about learning a form of martial arts. Before I started learning Tae Kwon Do I was rather plumpy and Tae Kwon Do whipped my butt into shape! If you have the money then buying a trampoline might not be a bad idea, they're fun to play around on and they work out the legs and stomach dramatically.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A specific exercise will in-itself not create 'tone' or 'bulk'.

You either work a muscle group or you don't. However, how many times you repeat an exercise and the weight/resistance used will produce different result.

Very basically:

High Weight + Low Reps = Strength ('Bulk')
    Low Weight + Hi Reps = Stamina ('Tone')

Swimming is also a great alround work-out and is practically impact free on all your joints (...just don't hit the end of the pool!).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the abs are one of the harder areas to tone and define. it is more about diet if you are already in shape and looking for the six-pack.