SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving away from scripting into web/print design

I've grown tired of scripting a lot to come up with a bland xhtml/css site, non stop database queries and loops and so on. I wan't to go more into print design and making static web pages for companies. Is there a comparable market for this compared to scripting?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you have a degree in anything?

Most print designers (if not all professional ones) went to school for Graphic Design.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my major. 1.5 years left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In that case, you're on a good track. As far as the work you'd be doing, you might make a good name for yourself if you present yourself as someone who can create a business's identity. Print, web, etc. all in one neat package that you charge money for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atealtha
    I've grown tired of scripting a lot to come up with a bland xhtml/css site, non stop database queries and loops and so on. I wan't to go more into print design and making static web pages for companies. Is there a comparable market for this compared to scripting?
    Moving to static design for web pages??? Hush your tongue!!!

To me the real power is behind leveraging your design skills to enhance the dynamic nature of websites and take them to the next level. I agree that you should drift away from bland sites, but there is real marketability for someone that can take both the design (marketing) elements and the programming (technology) elements and integrate them successfully.

The most successful IT people I know all have the ability to understand the business and marketing side of the world and use their technology skills to amplify the business message.

Just my two cents.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it realistic for one person to code such websites? Nothing crazy like intranets, but maybe as big as a custom cms with a calendar and news. Maybe I just code badly, heh.

Believe me, I wanted to do it all and deliver it into one package. Maybe if I target a market that doesn't need complicated server-side scripts, it would be easier for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atealtha
    Believe me, I wanted to do it all and deliver it into one package. Maybe if I target a market that doesn't need complicated server-side scripts, it would be easier for me.
    The mom-and-pop small business segment can usually benefit just as much from an off-the-shelf CMS as they would from a custom package. If you learn a few of the CMSes out there and how to tweak them, you might make a decent living if there are enough businesses that need your services in your area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to move from dataase and form-driven sites, try focusing on restaurants, small scale resorts, anyhting owned and operated by one person, or a few people. Also, artists and actors like simple yet powerful designs.

Most of my business associates focus on classy high end looking sites, and make decent money per job. But to truly make the most money form your effort, you will need to incorporate your programming skills with your designing abilities to assimilate the two into an end product with powerful functionality and a lasting image to the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you can define what the edge of having a static site is, from your point of view

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like product promotion pages. A lot of adobe pages are static .html pages because they make a page to promote say inDesign, with their links, videos and what not, and then there is no need to update that page unless there is a version upgrade. So it's not that I wanted to do this because it has an edge, but there seems (to me) to exist a market for these kinds of pages.

I'm working on a cms for my school radio station. It's taking me over 2 months to do all the programming and layout myself (leaving css layout until the end). I don't see myself finding clients that are that patient enough to wait 2 months or more.