SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB memory key not accesible...!

I bought a bunch of USB memory keys. When I plug them into any PC, they work fine! But the PC I use the most often it does not work! I plug it in, the PC detects it, it says found new hardware and all the good stuff. Everything goes the way it is supposed to. But then I browse to "My Computer" and look at all the drivers I have, it is not there! How can I fix this?
    (OS = XP Pro)
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any mapped drives on this machine? Windows likes to be a pain with them and USB drives. Here's a typical scenario

A: Floppy
    C: HD1
    D: HD2
    E: CD1
    F: Mapped Drive

Now when you plug in a USB drive, Windows can't assign it the letter it wants which is F. Don't ask me why it doesn't drop down to G, but it doesn't. If you right click on My Computer and go to Manage, then go to Disk Manager, you'll see your drive there and can manually assign the drive letter. This is why nowadays I leave spots before the first mapping.

If this doesn't help, let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey you're right! I had all kinds of network drives mapped. I took a few away and now it works fine. Thanks a lot!
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem. Like I said, the best solution is to drop the start of your mapped drives down a few letters, that way you'll always have space for removable storage. Alternatively you could wait for Microsoft to fix this problem in about ten years