SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot CatsEyeDesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking to buy content

I'm not sure where a topic like this goes so I appologize in advance if it belongs in another forum.

I'm interested in building a few sites to add to a new portfolio and help spread some PR around. I don't have the time or inclination to build the content for a large content site so I was wondering if any of you know of any where that one can purchase a database (or text file for that matter) that could be used as the content for a large site.

Strange request... I know. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the marketplace.
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search for Free Content, Public Domain, Content for your site etc... on the major search engines...You'll get plenty of good sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, but I didn't see any "looking to buy" sub forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, but found it difficult to find a large, already organzized source. For example, ideally I could find a 20 thousand record MySQL Dump file. I know that's probably optimistic, but a large structured text file would do just as well. I'll keep searching though and thanks for the keyword suggestions. Any other ideas?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of conent do you want? You can get RSS feeds, headline feeds etc... from a lot of good sources.

If you are looking for articles you can go to places like

http://ideamarketers.com
    http://article-emporium.com
    http://articlejunction.com
    http://clickforcontent.com

and other like sites to get articles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for content I can have full control over. If it's copyrighted, I'd need a license (permision) to use it. But ideally, it would be public domain because what I'm looking for is a very large, organized collection of information. Most likely, it'll come in the form of a large text file, but once again, ideally it would be in a database (access, MSSQL, MySQL, PGSQL, tab delimited text file, etc.) that I can easily work with using PHP, ASP, or Coldfusion.

As for the type of content, I'm open to lots of possibilities if it's in a format that's easy for me to work with (as described above). Articles about marketing, computers or the internet would be great. Cultural, religious, historical content could be fine as well.

Maybe if I explain the goals it'll seem more clear.
    • Demos for prospective clients - showing prospects the back end of a large dynamic site helps in new client aquisition. It demonstrates abilities as well as helps the client see what types of things can be done which helps them build up the project requirements.
    • Portfolio - we're looking to add a few large dynamic sites to our portfolio to attract a new breed of clients.
    • Page Rank - seeing as how these will be our sites, having a backlink on the bottom of several thousand pages certainly doesn't hurt the rankings in google.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there no other suggestions?!?! Come on slackers... I know someone out there has an idea they haven't shared.