SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.swf movie not lining up

At http://rmv17.topcities.com/ I need the top movie to fill the entire area. Right now it is only centered and when I make it bigger it moves right.
    Thanks for the help
    Attached Files Attached Files

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do as the header seems to be in the right place already.

To centre an element you need to use margin-right:auto and margin-left:auto on an element with specied width. (ie5 and 5.5. need text-align centre on a parent - see faq on centering for more info.)

e.g.
    Code:
    #header { width:733px;margin-left:auto;margin-right:auto; height: 185px; position: relative; background: #ffffff url(http://rmv17.topcities.com/header.gif) no-repeat center center }
    You had a position:relative with a left value in the above which will put the centering out by the amount you specified. Position:relative moves an element in relation to itself but the space it previously occupied is preserved. This means everything else thinks its still where it was.

Position:relative is usually used for effect rather than for positioning layouts. However if you wanted an offset where nothing else changes then position;relative is ideal.

Paul

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! I am new to CSS design. Since I have changed that header, everything has been falling into place.