SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XP Home to XP Pro networking issue

I am trying to get things working smoothly between my wifes cpu (xp home) and my cpu (xp pro).

I am able to view her shared files and she can view mine. So it seems just fine.

Thing is, I want to control how many users have access. Even though our computers are the only ones hooked up, I feel like if I have it set to "Everyone", then hackers might be able to access it. Right?

Well, when I try to set the users to 1 and then find my wifes machine, it won't show up in the advanced find feature when trying to share. I can go to Network Places > Entire Network > Home > and see her machine, but when limiting the number of users access to the shared documents, I can't get her computer to show up.

Can you think of any reason why?

Thanks
    Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    I am trying to get things working smoothly between my wifes cpu (xp home) and my cpu (xp pro).

Thing is, I want to control how many users have access. Even though our computers are the only ones hooked up, I feel like if I have it set to "Everyone", then hackers might be able to access it. Right?

Well, when I try to set the users to 1 and then find my wifes machine, it won't show up in the advanced find feature when trying to share. I can go to Network Places > Entire Network > Home > and see her machine, but when limiting the number of users access to the shared documents, I can't get her computer to show up.

Can you think of any reason why?

Thanks
    Bryan
    As long as your behind a router (which you probably are if you have two computers online), then your pretty safe from "Hackers". The ony other thing that would leave you open is if you had a wireless network thats wasn't password protected.

Here is a good article that describes Simple File Sharing and how disable it and setup a user based file sharing:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...ring/index.htm
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try setting it to 2 users. It might be that she is 1 user, you're the second user...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thing is, I can't get my "finder" in the sharing section to even find her computer. The name of her computer doesn't show up on the list.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also make sure you have Simple File Sharing enabled on your XP Pro machine. To do this, open up a My Computer window. Click on Tools -> Folder Options. Click on the View tab, scroll all the way to the bottom, and check Use Simple File Sharing.

Also make sure you're both in the same Workgroup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    run ipconfig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sry, Start---run---ipconfig, and compare the IP's of the machines. See if they in the same iprange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you remove the everyone permission from shares and add user accounts to them you will need to authenticate against the target machine in order to open the file shares.

The esiest way to do this is to create matching user accounts on both machines (same username and password) then the credentails you have logged into one box with will allow you into shares on the other box, assuming you have the permissions on the share (and if your file system is NTFS the folder).

If you don't want to create matching accounts, you'll need to authentiate against the other machine, to do this you need to qualify your user account name in the username field of the login box that pops up when you connect to the share, with the machine name so that xp knows where to authenticate against.

Qualified logon (workgroup PC):
    TargetMachineName\username

Qualified logon (domain PC):
    DomainName\username
    Drinky