User Tag List

Thread: Local Server

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Local Server

I recently removed a lot of unused software from my computer, and for some strange reason my computer does not appear to resolve the localhost (127.0.0.1). I am completely stumped as to why or even what would cause something like this as ipconfig does not return anything at all. As a result I cannot use any local server software such as apache or IIS and it is becoming very frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated as for once i'm not sure how to fix my own computer .

Edit:

I can ping 127.0.0.1, which seems fine and localhost now seems to resolve back to 127.0.0.1 the problem now being that apache doesn't seem to respond to a request and just says "web site found"... without serving the response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off what OS? 2000? XP?

You don't need the localhost address to run apache or iis. You can use your IP or machine name. But you do have a weird problem if ipconfig is not turning up anything. Below are just a few wild guesses.

Firewall software could potentiallay stop this. Windows firewall will block ping attempts. Zonealarm can sometimes turn into a bit of a virus blocking too much and leave behind leftovers.

Have you messed with your network drivers? Perhaps a windows update for your drivers stopped them from working? Can you get on the internet with this machine? Can you ping this box from itself or from another computer?

After seeing your edit...
    How is your httpd.conf set up for apache? I usually use the machine IP listening on port 80 and setup the hostfiles to redirect to it.
    You can do a repair installation of apache if you just run the installer again. Probably works through add/remove programs as well. I remember needing to do this when I messed up some things installing subversion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have XP SP2 it can throw up some wird issues with ipconfig when the firewall is on.

- Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_W
    If you have XP SP2 it can throw up some wird issues with ipconfig when the firewall is on.

- Mark
    Windows XP
    Firewall Off

Prior to removing various peices of software I was able to get a response back from apache, since removing BEA Weblogic and a few other rarely used applications it seems to have made some significant changes and therefore I could not get a response from "127.0.0.1" or "192.168.0.1", this has now been resolved however apache does not seem to give any response even tho it is listening on port 80. Opening telnet or http://127.0.0.1/ does not even send a http header to close the connection and leaves the browser in a persistant connection.

Quote Originally Posted by philipwhite
    How is your httpd.conf set up for apache? I usually use the machine IP listening on port 80 and setup the hostfiles to redirect to it.
    You can do a repair installation of apache if you just run the installer again. Probably works through add/remove programs as well. I remember needing to do this when I messed up some things installing subversion.
    After seeing your edit
    I have uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired apache 1.3.33 and apache 2.0.5 to no avail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_W

- Mark
    Which could be? Do you have any links for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried switching to port 81. Apache will let you use any port. Just throwing out suggestions at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by philipwhite
    Have you tried switching to port 81. Apache will let you use any port. Just throwing out suggestions at this point.
    Doesn't work on any port