SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rate my resume please

Here's my revised resume I've completed today... please criticize to the harshest intents possible as I am praying to be able to get a real job sometime soon, and want to do whatever I can to make sure my resume is 100% perfect. Basically, I just want potential employers to realize that I'm an exceptionally qualified programmer that could do great with the right guidance.... I'm already pretty much way ahead of my peers from college in terms of abilities and knowledge, and would like them to know that (sadly, my GPA doesnt reflect that as I spent too much time doing freelance projects than working on coursework, but maintaining my presidential scholarship counts for something, doesnt it?)

I'll be sending the resumes out on that special expensive yellow resume paper, this is basically just a comp I put up on my site and most likely will probably be linked to on the actual one in small print.

Also, any resources around here on how to write an effective cover letter?

Thanks in advance,
    JC

http://216.138.43.178/resume/resume.php

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats an employer gona view your resume in xml for?

objectives are quite useless

move education last

increase font size

make black + white, remove all excess graphics

focus on how you helped the people you worked for

thats in my opinion, too fancy and interactive, get to the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "and it's clients."

ITS, not it's. Very common mistake.

And what is your experience with those skills? Are you an expert on all those languages or what? Or do you just overload it with languages to impress someone? (With the latter being what your boss will think of it when he sees this.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, this is defiantely a work in progress, try not to focus on the looks or alternative formats as my final result will probably be either .doc or pdf or a printed resume.

I've been considering taking the list of skills out altogether as it feels like I may be overloading a bit by enumerating a large list of skills and skill level on those skills? Perhaps I should instead move the skills section completely over to the cover letter, and only focus on those skills related to the job being interviewed for?

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming! Just tell me what's important on a resume, what's not. I am glad to hear the objective isn't because I've been wrestling for quite awhile to put something there, and it always feels somewhat dull ("To obtain a position...").

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficeOfTheLaw
    Perhaps I should instead move the skills section completely over to the cover letter, and only focus on those skills related to the job being interviewed for?
    No, say what kind of experience you have with those languages. You can't tell me you are an expert in all those things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the skills, you can take the monster.com approach and list skill name, years of use, level of knowledge. I would only list your top skills that you plan on using to obtain a particular job.

Your objective makes you sound like you don't know anything about programming. Right now the big thing is experience. You want to sound experienced in what you do. Learning is great but no one wants to pay for it. Your position at Eric Thomas creations tells more about your ability than the rest of the document.

The expensive yellow resume paper might just be a bit of a waste. I would save it for copies you directly hand to employers. Most people don't mail out resumes anymore and many companies will not accept mail from applicants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My notes;

My goal is to obtain a challenging position working on software systems that implement cutting edge features and web services, to work with people who are highly qualified and much more skilled than myself, and to be able to be an asset to the company and it's clients.
    "To work with people who are highly qualified and much more skilled than myself"? That sounds pretty defeatest to me. Be more positive in your approach.

Don't start with "my goal". Instead, offer your potential employer a positive reason why they should employ you by listing your ambitions (which what your doing pretty well).

Took the lead on all major programming projects and was responsible for project management, functional spec writing, uML diagrams, revision control, and overall development. Worked on implementing the Rational Unified Process to our internal development process.
    People don't read big chunks of text, try rewording them into digestable, punchy lists. For example;

* Lead programmer on large scale project (working with X people)
    * Facilitated solutions by working closely with clients to establish problem specifications and system designs (UML)
    * Principally responsible for the administration, design, development, and fulfillment of X,Y,Z
    Also, try to list the quantfiable benefits (if you can) of implementing your solutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icheb
    And what is your experience with those skills? Are you an expert on all those languages or what?
    It doesnt matter. There is no need to break it up into different levels. He doesnt have to say expert this and intermediate that.

See my other post regarding that:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217858

Among other more serious issues, the computer skills sections is incomplete and not formatted properly. One of the questions that comes up is: What OS is this guy programming in?
    Last edited by Miraculix; Jan 4, 2005 at 09:46.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as resumes go, this is what I've learned. Don't list an objective. It makes you sound to "entry levelish". List a summery or something of that nature, just a brief overview of yourself and some skills.

Order IMO, should be Objective (if you have to use one) or Summary, Experience, Skills, Education.

Note: I'm just giving my two cents...take it for what its worth.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it matters to include the skill set. If you just put a load of languages there, everyone will think he just put them there to impress people and he doesn't really know any of them. I would rather hire someone who only knows two languages but is an expert in them than someone with some bs list of one hundred languages where I have no clue which language he actually knows at all, if any.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as others said, do not list the objective. i would list Profile section instead that summarizes your skills and personality in 2 sentences. plus your objective section sounds bad: makes you sound too junior who is looking to learn from others and play with cool cutting-edge technologies.

if the presidential scholarship is prestigious, elaborate more on it (how many people get it, etc.).

since you have just a couple of places of employment so far, elaborate on each one of them. write more and then have someone (preferrably in IT) proofread it.

in your independent freelance section, try to make it sound like it does not take too much of your (and, consequently, your potential employer's) time.

hope this helps,
    james

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more note...probably been listed already, I didn't look that hard. But just saw where you graduated college not to long ago, I have and I assume an employer would have a very hard time believing you when you say you have skills with all of those technologies right out of college. For anyone who has been to college in a computer science or technology related field, knows that college does not give you all of those skills, let alone the ability to have a working knowledge of them.

Please note: I am not doubting your skills or even saying you don't possess them, I am only saying from the standpoint of an employer looking at someone who just graduated college. I feel you'd be better off just listing the ones you've got the most experience with.

-Deron
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good to me for online resume.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a lot of wasted space at the top.

If you want a programming job, I think it is a good idea to leave the Skills section.

email: jcarr(at)gmail(dot)com:
    Don’t spell it out…just type it in.
    FYI: e-mail has a hyphen between ‘e’ and ‘mail’

If you want to list an objective, say something like:
    Challenging position developing software systems that implement progressive functionality, and increase profitability and efficiency for the company and its stakeholders.
    **Like the idea of a profile in lieu of objective.

FYI, Web is always capitalized.

Insert space between Skills heading and body.
    In the skills section, CSS1,2, and 3 should read: CSS 1, 2 and 3

Under Education:
    Notes: Attended on Presidential Scholarship. – Rewrite

Experience should be most recent to least recent.

Current job should be written is present tense (past jobs should be past tense).

Overall, you need to polish the duties. Eliminate phrases such as, “here and there.” It would be good to be more specific.
    Amy O'Brien
    O'Brien Software Services, Inc.
    www.obriensoftware.com
    If you can visualize it, we can develop it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amay25
    [...] FYI: e-mail has a hyphen between ‘e’ and ‘mail’ [...] FYI, Web is always capitalized. [...]
    Both is a matter of dispute, which means: it doesn't matter how you write it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go by the "Associated Press Stylebook," which is basically a standard for writing. The Associated Press is the largest and oldest news organization in the world. Nearly all writers, editors and journalists go by this.

Also, if you look at Webster's online dictionary, Web is capitalized and e-mail has a hyphen. So, technically, it does matter how those words are written (if you want to be correct).
    Amy O'Brien
    O'Brien Software Services, Inc.
    www.obriensoftware.com
    If you can visualize it, we can develop it.