SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange problem with Outlook Express 6

Here's the scoop...in one of my identities using Outlook Express 6, I'm having a strange problem I've never seen before. When I compose an email, the deleting of words is real slow.

I just recently installed a new hard drive and did a complete fresh install of XP Pro, and I've updated Windows with everything Bill says I ought to have. Everything else is running perfectly.

My other indentities don't have this problem.

I've even re-installed Internet Explorer because that was the only way I could find to re-install Outlook Express 6.

Another thing I tried was deleting the indentity I'm having the problem with and re-creating it. Once I did that, I no longer had this problem...until I changed my store folder to the folder in My Documents where I keep emails for that indentity.

Any ideas on what I should try next? (outside of another fresh install)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked your Temp and Temp Internet folders? Every time I have encountered a problem of slowness with Outlook Express, whether it's deleting slowly, opening emails slowly, etc., I have found a Temp folder just filled to the max. I bet I've fixed 6 or 8 clients problems just by finding where Windows was hiding crap that was no longer needed. It's usually a folder that's hidden and has to be found, and I'm not sure where XP Pro might stick them. I run XP Pro at my office, but I quit using Outlook and Outlook Express about 6 months ago and switched to Thunderbird.

Just something to try!
    The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen
    and stupidity. - Harlan Ellison
    Retirement Communities and Senior Housing Options
    Freecycle.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip. I thought changing my store folder was controlling where OE files are stored. I never knew there was a temp folder in addition to the store folder.

I'll look around in my program files and see what I can find.

And, how did Thunderbird workout for you? Were you able to keep all the messages and folders that were in your Outlook Express by importing them into Thunderbird?

I guess I'd be interested in trying it, but I would not want to have to delete Outlook Express to use Thunderbird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thunderbird is great. It imported all my folders without a hitch. And it's built in spam filter works real well. Not perfect, but it makes other software unnecessary. It also automatically sets up your email accounts that you have in OE, so all you'd have to do is stop using OE, not uninstall it. There will be afew things you'll have to go through and set to get it just like you want it, but you won't lose anything from OE.

OE uses a lot of the same resources as Internet Explorer. One way to find stashed files is to let Windows tell you where they are. Make sure your folders are set to show hidden files, then do a search for .tmp files. Also search for folders with "TEMP" in the name.
    Freecycle.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like all the email messages I store in the folders in OE will be converted to .eml files, which means I can never go back to OE if I needed to. I guess I could always run both programs and experiment.

As far as my current problem is concerned...I can't seem to find any .TEMP, or .tmp files anywhere.

I'm also wondering is Outlook Express just needs more memory. Is there anyway to increase the memory? Since OE is part of Internet Explorer, I'll go look at increasing the memory for IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the problem.

I had done a tweak to speed up Internet Explorer that caused this. Once I put things back how they were, the problem is solved.

The tweak is found at: http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=120&dPage=3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on your C: drive in the WINNT folder - should be a TEMP folder there. Also under C:, there is a Documents and Settings folder. In there you'll find folders for each user. Look in these folders for a hidden folder called Local Settings. In there you'll find Temp and Temporary Internet Files folders. If all of these TEMP folders are empty, it could be a different problem!

Remember:
    "Microsoft products are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get"
    Freecycle.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those dratted IE tweaks!
    Freecycle.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said you found a tweak but :: FYI: Check your PC for SpyWare / AdAware.

My first guess was you may have a Keylogger installed.
    █ █ sid007
    $20 VPS Server
    :: Unlimited Websites

iRude.com :: A Blog

FREE Templates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why dont you use incredimail or eudora ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said you found a tweak but :: FYI: Check your PC for SpyWare / AdAware.
    My system was freshly installed just a few days ago and Spybot found no SpyWare. I'm not experiencing any other issues whatsoever. My system is running and performing great.
    incredimail or eudora
    The only way I would consider a move to another product is if they used .dbx files, so I could always go back to Outlook Express if it doesn't workout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider switching to Thunderbird. The interface is very similar to Outlook Express, so you don't have to learn much, yet it is much better at organizing your mail than OE is... it's also really simple to export your OE mail to Thunderbird. AND it's safer to use than IE... and free

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but if it doesn't work out can I export my emails back to Outlook Express? Probably not.

I'm actually not too worried about it because I don't keep any email address lists in OE and I'm running some tight security programs. Plus, I use MailWasher to screen out any un-wanted emails before I download the email messages I want.

I'm just looking for better security. Besides, Thunderbird is only secure until a bunch of people switch to it and hackers get this program in their sites. No program is really very safe when you think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz
    Yeah, but if it doesn't work out can I export my emails back to Outlook Express? Probably not.

I'm actually not too worried about it because I don't keep any email address lists in OE and I'm running some tight security programs. Plus, I use MailWasher to screen out any un-wanted emails before I download the email messages I want.

I'm just looking for better security. Besides, Thunderbird is only secure until a bunch of people switch to it and hackers get this program in their sites. No program is really very safe when you think about it.
    Right you are. But aside from the security aspect, it really is more user-friendly than OE (I personally love the separate inboxes for every email address within a single identity, as opposed to OE's "dump all mail into one inbox and sort it yourself"). And there's no need to export your email back to OE if you don't like TB -- it doesn't actually go anywhere when you export it, everything just gets copied to Thunderbird.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you choose
    Danielion
    Imagine a world without hypothetical scenarios...

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drop it down try Mozilla thunderbird !!
    it is just amazing !!
    * Adaptive Junk Mail Controls
    * RSS Reader
    * Global Inbox Support
    * Saved Search Folders
    * Message Grouping
    * Privacy Protection
    go here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook is very unsecure. I would never use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had any security problems with Outlook Express.

I use NIS (always kept updated), and MailWasher Pro, which prevents unwanted emails to get to my inbox in the first place (the only logical way to handle spam)

Even if I did get a virus, or whatever, I can resore my system in about 20 minutes to exactly how it was using Acronis True Image 8.0, AND I have all my information backed up to 3 different hard drives (two of which stay powered off except when backups are running) so I'm not operating in fear where my computing is concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know how to increase memory available to Outlook Express?