SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing finds virus - but i clearly have one.

Both of my pc's would appear to have a virus. which is even more strange as they're not properly networked so can't see each other.
    basically neither of them will run any .exe's, explorer and ie are the only prog's that will run now, even if i navigate to the actual .exe and double click, i get a window telling me the file cannot be found and to check the spelling and try again. this is in normal and safe mode, i went online yesterday long enough to do a symantec online virus check and it also came up with a blank.
    when i boot up my desktop it says mlizk.exe can't be found, but google found no mention of this file.
    any help would be much appreciated as a pc without exe's is about as useful as alcohol free beer.

SitePoint Zealot CatsEyeDesigns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is interesting. But without being able to run exe's, any "in the box" recovery is pretty much out of the question. If you've got a spare functioning computer, swapping a hard drive is a pretty simple chore so you may want to just put the "bad drives" into a working computer, back up the stuff you NEED, and then just wipe the hard drives and start over from scratch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your can get on the internet try running an online virus scan

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens if you try to run an application from the Run dialog in the Start Menu respectively from the command line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for the second hard drive. It is a good thing to have that anyway for these cases. It is a good fast backup (Although you shouldnot rely on it!)

Did you try to run some spyware and your antivirus in safemode? What about a recovery disk?
    Maarten

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wrote an article a long time ago on how programs autostart here is a section you might find helpful.

The key should have a value of "%1 %*", if this is changed to "user.exe %1 %*", the user.exe is executed EVERYTIME an exe/pif/com/bat/hta is executed. This method used by many malicious programs.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\comfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell \open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\htafile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command] @="\"%1\" %*"
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users