SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reformatting XP REALLY pissing me off

My friends Sony Vaio running XP is riddled with virus's and spyware. So I am trying to delete both partitions and load XP onto on 40GB partition. I can't seem to delete the primary partition so I can combine the 23GB of free space with it.

I've been on Mac's for about 3 years and I can't figure out how to do this and its pissing me off. Usually I just FDISK it and its over. Anyone have a way to do this? I've been searching google for hours and came up with something called delpart.exe but that doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to get rid of all partitions and reinstall xp?

insert the XP disk and reboot, when you follow the process of installing it gives you a list of the partitions, delete both of them and add a new one, and select that one to install xp. All the instructions are on screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can still just boot up from a win9x boot disk and FDisk the lot. Or like dangermouse says you can just use the CD.

- Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a walkthrough on how to do it. You dont need fdisk to do this. The install disc from xp allows you to do a complete reformat, delete existing partitions, make new partitions etc etc. Read this guide for a step by step.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/O...tallxppro1.htm
    <! -- This post is best viewed with FireFox -->
    <blink> <blink><blinkity></blink>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iluminatae
    Here is a walkthrough on how to do it. You dont need fdisk to do this. The install disc from xp allows you to do a complete reformat, delete existing partitions, make new partitions etc etc. Read this guide for a step by step.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/O...tallxppro1.htm
    I only suggested about Fdisk becuase he said that was what he was used to from before.

Good link though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    My friends Sony Vaio running XP is riddled with virus's and spyware. So I am trying to delete both partitions and load XP onto on 40GB partition. I can't seem to delete the primary partition so I can combine the 23GB of free space with it.

I've been on Mac's for about 3 years and I can't figure out how to do this and its pissing me off. Usually I just FDISK it and its over. Anyone have a way to do this? I've been searching google for hours and came up with something called delpart.exe but that doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated.
    The partition in question may be formated to the NTFS file system. If this is the case you must select to delete the none DOS partition.

Kili
    It's not how long you live that counts but how you live

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't delete the primary partition while running Windows unless it is a secondary drive. Or put better yet, you cannot delete the boot partition while running Windows off of it. This is why you have to use the Install Disk...

Oh and by the way, the portion of the install that deletes and creates partitions is FDISK (well basically and codewise anyway).
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While all of these answers are acceptable I wouldn't have posted if it were that easy.

When running the setup cd there are two partitions, one is 23GB of space that is unallocated and the other is a 14GB NTFS partition. When I choose to delete partition I get the following screen:

"Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation"

Now all I have done is boot from the install CD, press enter to start installation and they tried to delete the partition. I'm not sure of a way around this.

My only option is to install on the existing partition, which doesn't allow me to include the extra 23GB of space.

Does anyone have any further suggestions?

Also I don't have access to a win98 boot CD otherwise I would have done that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download a win98 boot disk of the net, I 'think' bootdisk.com, then you can run fdisk.

- Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trampt
    When running the setup cd there are two partitions, one is 23GB of space that is unallocated and the other is a 14GB NTFS partition. When I choose to delete partition I get the following screen:

"Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation"

Now all I have done is boot from the install CD, press enter to start installation and they tried to delete the partition. I'm not sure of a way around this.
    Have done this several times and not had any problems. This is a Microsoft issued disc and not some recovery disc from a computer vendor correct?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Have done this several times and not had any problems. This is a Microsoft issued disc and not some recovery disc from a computer vendor correct?
    Its a regular legal copy of XP ... that is why this thing is pissing me off so much as I've never had a problem doing stuff like this either. I have a feeling it has somethign to do with sony viao stuff installed on the drive, but I can't imagine what would prevent me from wiping it. Probably because you have to use their boot install instead of a regular XP install?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok ... something really weird. I bailed out of the XP repair and now I was able to delete the primary partition nice and easily like I should have been able to all along. However now I still have two seperate unallocated partitions one 13GB and the other 23GB, and it won't let me combine them. I figured once I deleted the primary partition it would just combine the unallocated space into one selectable partition.

There is only one 40GB hard drive listed in the BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok ... this machine is haunted however everything appears to be fine now.

I'll just chalk this up to a nice big WTF? and leave it at that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that makes sense.. If you enter Repair mode, it boots off the Hard Drive not the CD. You never mentioned you were in Repair Mode. You implied you were in Windows Setup.

You have to delete both partitions and create a new combine partition, just like you would have to do using FDISK.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    Well that makes sense.. If you enter Repair mode, it boots off the Hard Drive not the CD. You never mentioned you were in Repair Mode. You implied you were in Windows Setup.

You have to delete both partitions and create a new combine partition, just like you would have to do using FDISK.
    It doesn't make sense cause I did that last as a WTF lets try this option.

This is basically what happened.

After bailing out of the repair mid-install by hard resetting (i know but I was pissed) I reset and it allowed me to delete the primary parition finally. Once that was deleted it left with one unallocated partition of 13GB and one of 23GB. It didn't automatically combine them back in the 38GB. Instead it only allowed me to install on one of the unallocated partitions. So I decided to just install it on the bigger of the two, when I clicked install it said I had to go back and create a partition. When I went back it had labeled it as a temporary partition so I deleted it to set it up, and after I did that it took be back to select a partition to install on and they were now combined.

Again, just a haunted machine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An unallocated Partition is simply a partition that hasn't been formatted properly. This is different from unpartitioned space. Remember a Partition can contain one or more logical drives. If none are assigned, then you have partitions with no allocations.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, just slap a brand new hard drive in the box and do a fresh install, and be done with it. (you probably need a larger drive in that puppy anyhow!)

It's always better with Windows to just start fresh, as opposed to trying to repair. Bill's program likes it fresh!

Look at it this way, with all the time you've already spent jackin' with this, you could have already been done with a fresh install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, except its not my laptop and he doesn't want to spend more money on it and its already fixed.

I'm a few weeks away from talking him into buying a powerbook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my hat is off to you for spending time helping someone with their computer The guy should be thankful he isn't having to pay someone $80 an hour to look at it...