User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which charity do you trust the most?

Hey all,

So, a lot of us would like to donate to the disaster relief in the South East tragedy but many, i am sure, are not convinced that the money donated will actually go to the cause they've selected or will be spent wisely. So which charity(ies) do you trust the most? Which of them do you believe will actually spend *most* of your donation where its meant to go?

Best,
    james

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donated to Red Cross via Amazon's 1-Click donation feature. Very easy to do and Red Cross is a well respected organization.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family donates to many charities, particularly the Red Cross and Oxfam, but we donate the most to Childreach. The catch is, it's not a one-shot donation program—you have to sign up to "sponsor" a child in a country such as Guatemala, India, and so on, and then pay yearly donations. That said, it might be incredibly helpful to communities in India, Sri Lanka, and other tsunami-affected countries, because much of the money goes to community (re)construction efforts.

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the tone of what Cory said, I also suggest sponsoring a child. Me and my fiance have been sponsoring a child through Compassion International for about 6 months now. HUGE organization that really works with people on a personal level and you get to see more "fruits of your labor." You pay a monthly charge and can write your child and they'll write you pretty often as well.

Our child, from Africa, sent us a letter and a picture of a giraffe he colored.

I know for a fact they have sponsorships available for children in the areas affected by the tsunami's and earthquakes.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only International Charity that I give my money to is the Red Cross. The only National Charity that I give my money to is the Salvation Army. The other charities I support are all local charities including a food bank, domestic violence shelter, an exotic feline breeding compound and a charity that sponsors local underprivileged children instead of ones halfway around the world. There is also a local program that collects winter coats for the needy and toys for Christmas gifts for local children. We donate generously to those every year as well. I also donate blood to the local hospital. I chose the local hospital to keep the resources in our community.

I don't donate for specific issues though. I feel the Red Cross needs to be ready before the tragedy so I make donations throughout the year instead of when something occurs. I don't mind which event gets my money as I know it all goes to help someone in need somewhere.

The one thing I don't like about many charities is that they force religion on the recipients as a condition of relief, as such these don't get my support. I trust local charities the most though and they get the lion's share of any donations from clothes to toys as well as money and time.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://donate.ifrc.org/

Umbrella (and safe) site for all Red Cross organisations
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as for me, i usually donate to red cross as well. this time, a friend of mine decided to join the relief efforts in person and is heading to Sri Lanka from New York. I decided to sponsor some of her trip..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good question. I wonder if any of these relief money collectors have corruption history.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rental
    I wonder if any of these relief money collectors have corruption history.
    Historically, about half of all relief efforts end in corruption and the event victims suffering more. Whether it is because of the relief agencies, local governments or simple oversights changes in each independant episode.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madeonmoon
    as for me, i usually donate to red cross as well. this time, a friend of mine decided to join the relief efforts in person and is heading to Sri Lanka from New York. I decided to sponsor some of her trip..
    I think that's the best approach. Kill the middle man. I didn't see anything TOO horrible about Red Cross, but they were brought to court many times, and I think there were complains to BBB about them (they do some commercial activity besdies collecting donations), though I'm not certain about the later. There was some scandal involving a top executive earlier this year, too. All in all, I don't think they are too bad, but if they skim off the top like most charitiies, no thanks.
    The best way is to donate directly, but I guess it's easier to say than to do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile non profits

Since the 911 disaster, I decided to do something to help a lot of people at the same time by way of a web site that I created.I feature crisis information for those in need on a regular basis. There are hotline numbers and other info like links to the poison center, FBI, government help sites, federal dsiaster relief agencies, national weather forecasts,and the like. see www.911info.net for additional information.
    Red Cross has been in existance for a long time and although they have had problems, they are a very large international organization that works for the good of people in crisis.
    Last edited by dianeknaus; Dec 30, 2004 at 14:08. Reason: forgot to answer the question

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dianeknaus,

what you do is really great.
    Last edited by madeonmoon; Dec 30, 2004 at 15:38.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dontated through the UK red cross site!

- Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site rates charities:
    http://charitywatch.org

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donate to Guiding Eyes for the Blind - an organization that provides guide dogs and training to the blind. There's nothing I enjoy more than helping others get their lives back. Since I am also partially blind as well, it is a cause that is near and dear to me!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just came across another great site that rates charities and has A LOT of info and trends on each:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, I enjoy sending out "happy mail" to the children at Hugs and Hope. Many of these kids are terminally ill and enjoy receiving cards and letters with stickers, jokes, etc. to brighten up their day.

I just recently found out about Any Soldier and will start sending out Valentine's Day cards and care packages to our troops.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally trust many, but especially the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Texas Hearing and Service dogs. I have MD and have a service dog from this company.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    German Red Cross